This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Resetting monitors, blind

IanGraham

Tue May 05, 2020 8:54:16 am

Morning
I run Zorin on a Thinkpad T500, with an additional monitor. I have woken this morning to find (I think) that the display on the actual Thinkpad has died. The external monitor is still working, and fortunately from a link on that I can still get online. But I'm entirely blind as to everything I usually accessed via the main display, including my email application, and, most pertinently, the use of F buttons to manipulate the display.
If some kind friend is able to give me a blow-by-blow account of how to re-order the monitor set-up, so that the main screen shows on the external monitor, I'd be mighty grateful !
Many thanks,
Ian G
Wales UK

IanGraham

Tue May 05, 2020 10:41:46 am

I think sequential presses of Fn F6 has sorted it.......but would still be interested to hear more informed commentary

Swarfendor437

Tue May 05, 2020 1:50:21 pm

Can't comment as I use a desktop and when I do use the notebook I don't attach anything else, unless I feel mousey! ;) :D

Aravisian

Tue May 05, 2020 7:53:16 pm

Zorin Core or Zorin Lite?

IanGraham

Wed May 06, 2020 8:33:24 am

Good morning, 24 hours on.
Full scale Zorin - Zorin 12, I think, from memory. (Can't check at the moment).

Yesterday, as I briefly indicated, Fn F6 seemed to suddenly sort everything. The main screen was absolutely bright and OK again. Then much later, in the evening, I came back and it was black again, and I have not been able to repeat the trick.

To broaden the question: it would help a lot if I could find any sort of user's guide to Zorin itself, to get chapter and verse on the F keys; and more generally, perhaps, find if I can open 'Settings' onto the extension monitor by some sort of key sequence, in the absence of any usable visuals to click on in the lost main screen.

Ian G
Wales UK

IanGraham

Wed May 06, 2020 9:53:26 am

I have found a keystroke route to open the normal Home screen on my visible monitor. From there I can get to 'Other Locations' and then 'Computer'. Is there any way from here (there are so many folders, many not very self-evidently titled) that I could get at the 'Display' component of the Settings menu ?

IanGraham

Wed May 06, 2020 12:48:13 pm

I have now also discovered that latching down the lid of the laptop disables the screen and sends the graphics to the external monitor, which potentially gives me all the controls I need. Ideally, I would probably put an external keyboard on as well, but in fact at this moment I have raised the lid and am using the onboard keyboard, without the machine having reverted to a nominal two-screen display.........Well, it all keeps me off the streets, I suppose ! :D