This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Having problems trying booting and installing Linux distros

Megaskydark

Thu May 14, 2020 2:14:31 am

I've been looking for almost a year for a way to fix this problem, without any different results.

Everytime i try to install a distro (i've tried with ubuntu, xubuntu, zorin many times, lubuntu, debian, puppy linux and elementary), the installation stops when it's installing the grub part. It freezes leaving the installation uncompleted.

Finally, when i'm able to install it (taking the HDD to another PC and installing it from there), the OS can be executed by the computer where the OS was installed, but when i take the HDD back to its original computer where it belongs, when i reconnect the HDD and try to boot the new installed OS, it doesn't boot (the OS being installed in UEFI mode, disabled secure boot option, GPT partition table), and everytime i turn the computer on, it shows a "no bootable device" message.

I'm not doing a dual installation with Windows. I did try it, but the linux installation keeps freezing, and it only boots Windows. It never gives the option for booting the linux distro. It goes right to Windows.

My computer is a laptop Acer Aspire ES1-533. The BIOS is InsydeH20 version 1.19, and is not possible to change UEFI mode to Legacy mode in the BIOS, for some reason.

EXTRA NOTE: i installed Zorin again on another laptop Acer Aspire E5-421 (with my laptop's HDD), with a version 1.04 of the same BIOS, and i was able to boot it in UEFI mode without any problem.

Here are some screen photos of my BIOS. In the "Boot" screen, the option "Boot mode" is grayed.

Swarfendor437

Thu May 14, 2020 7:52:14 pm