This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Unable to restart nor shutdown

emrys

Tue May 26, 2020 5:56:42 pm

Hi,

I've started facing this problem with ZorinOS were it isn't restarting nor shutting down.

When the restart option is selected it is just stuck on a black screen and the same for shutdown as well.

I've tried the steps mentioned in => https://zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9415 but it didn't help.

I am not sure what the problem is and why it is behaving this way. I've tried Zorin OS on Virtual Box and it restarts and shutsdown without any issues.

Laptop Model: ASUS TUF GAMING FX505DY

I have a dual boot windows and Zorin OS.

ilovelinux

Tue May 26, 2020 8:24:37 pm

Hi, I have the exact same problem on my Matebook D.
The problem has appeared since the last update, and nobody seems to have a solution.

Swarfendor437

Tue May 26, 2020 9:19:01 pm

Hi see if downgrading the kernel to an earlier one resolves the issue - follow the instructions how to do this from here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15700&p=71685#p71685

emrys

Wed May 27, 2020 7:00:24 am

Thanks Swarfendor437

5.3.0-53-generic seems to be problem, howerever, removing it causes the WiFi adpater to stop working. Not sure how to fix that.

Selecting 5.3.0-40-generic from the advanced option during boot works fine but WiFi doesn't work with this version of the linux kernel.

ilovelinux

Wed May 27, 2020 7:35:40 pm

emrys wrote:Thanks Swarfendor437

5.3.0-53-generic seems to be problem, howerever, removing it causes the WiFi adpater to stop working. Not sure how to fix that.

Selecting 5.3.0-40-generic from the advanced option during boot works fine but WiFi doesn't work with this version of the linux kernel.

Yes, kernel 5.3.0-53-generic is the problem with Ryzen CPU.
Here's a bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1880041

On my PC I fixed by downgrading to 4.15 kernel.

Swarfendor437

Wed May 27, 2020 10:05:35 pm

Thanks for the heads up on the bug. I've had a couple of instances (Ryzen 7) whilst in Zorin where the machine has shut-down and rebooted without me doing anything. Recently had a CoolerMaster PSU failure (M750 WE GOLD) so put old 550W CoolerMaster Bronze PSU back in when the incident happened. (I'd had to reinstall Zorin as I failed to disconnect the drive whilst cloning 2 other drives and should not have told Clonezilla to updat initramfs in the process! :roll:

emrys

Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:14:01 pm

Just to update this thread.

Updating to 5.3.0-59 has fixed the issue.

I am not sure how to mark this thread as closed.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:30:59 pm

Glad you got sorted friend! ;) :D

smhardesty

Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:36:47 pm

I know this is marked resolved, but I'm still having the same issue with powering down on my Lenovo laptop. I haven't found any issue with rebooting since I upgraded the kernel to 5.3.0-61, but it did hang on one power down. I'm not sure if I'll have any more issues with rebooting. Only time will tell. Maybe it will work itself out or maybe a future kernel will resolve my problem.

smhardesty

Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:48:03 pm

Now, this is kind of weird. It might just be a coincidence, but at this point my laptop will shut down OK, but won't reboot. I did finally manage to be able to hit ESC and see where it's hanging during a reboot. I get this message:

Code:
A stop job is running for WPA supplicant

I have no clue what that is. Hopefully one of you guys do and will know what to do to fix it.

The other weird thing is that when I reboot and it hangs, I have to hit the power button to shut it down. When it's back up and running, no icons have been scrambled on the desktop. However, when I do a successful shut down and then power back up, icons are scrambled. Yeah, I know. That's really strange. It might all be a series of coincidences at this point. I haven't made too many shut downs or reboots at this point. I guess I should try just sitting here and going through a series of reboots and shut downs to see what happens.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:41:19 pm

WPA supplicant relates to wireless network settings needed for wireless in your notebook to work. I will delve to see if there is someway to kill it quicker! :D

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:05:04 pm

OK, it's time to play in the Terminal! :D :D :D

https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... nt-498521/

smhardesty

Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:08:54 pm

Well, we might be getting close to something here. I read that thread start to finish. I happened to catch that Chromezero made mention of wpa_cli not being installed. I just searched in Synaptic for that file and it is not installed on this laptop. In fact, that file doesn't even exist as a package to install. I also searched for wpa_supplicant and found nothing, except wpagui, dhcpcd-gtk, and dhcpcd-qt. Then I went ahead and searched for just wpa and found wpasupplicant, without the hyphen. I'm guessing somewhere between 2006 and now that file received a slight name change.

So we know it IS installed on here and I'm still having problems with it. I haven't tried any of the commands to stop the process yet. There are two reasons for that. One, are the commands listed in that thread current and correct? Secondly, am I going to have to remember to issue some kind of kill command every time I want to reboot?

Oh, I also opened Task Manager and there is no mention of wpasupplicant.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:21:00 pm

A valid point - I can't even find 'nm' (network manager) running in Processes! OK, does your notebook have either a key command to turn on/off wifi or a physical switch? See if turning that off helps. Also whilst Bluetooth is separate, sometimes there can be a tenuous link - do you use bluetooth at all on Zorin? If not you could turn that off and remove it from Startup Applications (uncheck). ;) :D

smhardesty

Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:32:18 pm

To the best of my knowledge and as much as I can tell, there is no key to turn off WIFI. As for Bluetooth, I completely remove all Bluetooth packages as part of my tweaking after the initial install. There are no Bluetooth files on this laptop.

smhardesty

Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:41:45 pm

Although I'm not completely convinced as of yet, I might have found a way to prevent the hanging during reboots or shut downs. On a whim, I simply clicked on the network icon on the panel and selected "Disconnect" before I chose "Restart" or "Shut Down". So far I have rebooted twice and shut down once doing this. Each time the laptop completed the reboot or shut down without hanging. I'm going to try and remember to disconnect from the network each time I do a reboot or shut down and see what happens. The drawback so far is that the desktop icons have been completely scrambled. If this trick works to prevent the hanging, I'll just get a little creative with what icons are on the desktop and how they are arranged.