This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Can't restore automatic login

Clifford_Esler

Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:56:16 pm

Yesterday I changed my password. Before doing so I was always logged in automatically on startup, with pw required for software installs only. Now I must enter it on startup every time. I live alone and don't need startup protection. I followed the Guide steps below but the result won't stick. How do I fix this?

You can change your settings so that you are automatically logged in to your account when you start up your computer:
* Open the Activities overview and start typing Users.
* Click Users to open the panel.
* Select the user account that you want to log in to automatically at startup.
* Press Unlock and enter your password.
* Toggle the Automatic Login switch to ON.
When you next start up your computer, you will be logged in automatically. If you have this option enabled, you will not need to type in your password to log in to your account which means that if someone else starts up your computer, they will be able to access your account and your personal data including your files and browser history.

Machine: Dell Latitude E5430 Pro 64 bit, Intel Core i5-3320M @ 2.60GHz × 4, 3.8 GB RAM, Intel Ivybridge Mobile, HDD 320 GB

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:15:23 pm

Fortunately (or unfortunately) you can't! The security of Linux ensures that Password is needed. My advise to you is to create a separate user account without the need of a password, keeping your main account with password for installing things - If I remember correctly, Linux offers the same solution when it comes to installing apps by a standard user - the user with sudoer's/pkexec functionality should come up with you to apply the password - haven't tried this with recent iterations of Zorin. ;) :D

Clifford_Esler

Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:48:46 pm

OK, that all makes sense except for two things:
1. If there was no login required at startup for five whole months after my initial install, why is it suddenly so essential?
2. Why do the Guide instructions to "Set up automatic login for when you switch on your computer" fail to work as described?

I have no issues with the pw challenge when installing new software or opening system files. That's a safeguard I can appreciate.

Aravisian

Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:41:16 am

I think the issue arises because the password was changed. You have automatic login enabled for a password, changed the password and something didn't quite line up after.
You may try checking the configuration files at the same time as Disabling Automatic login and then once that is complete, enabling automatic login again with your new password in place and see if that jiggles the handle:
https://vitux.com/how-to-enable-disable ... 18-04-lts/

Your Root Password can be changed or the automatic login enabled. However, if you set up an encryption password during installation- there is Nothing You Can Do if you decide to remove it later except to re-partition and re-install the O.S. after making backups.