This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Windows 10 Functional Update kills my MBR + Zorin Partition

Stephan72

Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:02:19 am

Hi,

Windows 10 killed my MBR and hard disc partition with his last functional Update.

I have repaired the MBR already.
Now I have a hard disc partition which is unassignable. On this partition was Zorin OS.

Is there an tool which could help me to recover my partition or another thing what I can do?

Greets
Stephan

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:21:42 pm

Hi, Can you firstly boot off the install media that you used to install Zorin? Does it see the partition/s with Zorin on (sdb, '/', Ext4 etc?) If it does I would check to see if you can change the 'flag' on the partition as bootable - you may still not be able to boot directly into Zorin after doing this - If the partition is there but there are no flags - make them visible and save changes - UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES select 'CLEAR PARTITION TABLE' - YOU WOULD LOSE EVERYTHING! Then boot into Windows and install EasyBCD from NeoSmart.

https://vimeo.com/110085401 - go to 1 hour 25 minutes in.

Stephan72

Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:19:23 pm

Thanks for your help and sorry for my late thanks to you.
My friend will be repair my PC with your answer to my question.
I have two PCs and we have cloned it to the destination PC that makes now this trouble after the Windows 10 Functional Update.
The first PC from that we make the Clone I have not make the Windows 10 functional update now.
The destination PC that makes the problem has not the clear Zorin what I have on the first PC because we have only cloned the PC with Acronis Crucial.
We have cloned only the Windows 10.

Is it possible to make the cloning only with Zorin?
Maybe we can repair the PC with Zorin about your last answer.

Swarfendor437

Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:52:57 pm

If you want to Clone Zorin only your best tool would be to use Clonezilla. For safety first I would try and boot witih a Live version of Zorin so you can 'see' your /home partition and backup all your files first before proceeding. ;) :D

Stephan72

Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:00:18 pm

Hi,

Linux-R show me the partition with ext4 but I can't to rebuilt it because Linux-R can only make an image.

How can I make the partition bootable?

The Installer from Zorin show me not the ext4!

Greets
Stephan

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:35:40 am

Can you launch Zorin using live mode on your bootable media, launch GParted then use Screenshot and post back so we can advise further? Thanks. ;) :D

Stephan72

Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:45:07 am

Nein ist leider nicht möglich! - Es wird mir nur seitens Linux-R angezeigt, dass die Partition wiederhergestellt werden kann als Image Datei und wir wissen nicht wie wir diese Image Datei benutzen können.
Eine direkte Wiederherstellung scheint über Linux-R nicht möglich zu sein!

[English: No is unfortunately not possible! - I only see from Linux-R that the partition can be restored as an image file and we do not know how to use this image file.
Direct recovery does not seem to be possible via Linux-R!]

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:02:27 pm

OK, I'm afraid I can't advise further as Linux-R is new to me! :(

OK, ich fürchte, ich kann nicht weiter raten, da Linux-R neu für mich ist!