This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Switching from Libre to Open Office

kay-dee

Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:19:44 am

At the risk of getting into an arm wrestling match, has anyone successfully installed Open Office on Zorin. There seems to be a lot of outdated information on the web but, as I understand it, the first step is to remove every trace of Libre Office. The two office suites conflict. I’ve got the Open Office package saved in Downloads, just need a set of up-to-date commands.
Thanks…
Katie

Swarfendor437

Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:51:34 pm

Just use Synaptic Package Manager and do a search for LibreOffice, when it comes back with results, click on the 's' above the checkboxes so that all installed components come into view, then mark all for complete removal then hit Apply. Due to demands at work needing to be compatible with MS I have paid (first for SoftMaker Office 2018 anniversary edition) and just paid for Upgrade to 2021. I can't believe how much easier it has made my working from home. I know it is proprietary but to me it is outstanding! I shouldn't say it, but I LUV it! :D :D :D

smhardesty

Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:37:29 pm

Add another vote for using Synaptic for removal. It usually does a perfect job of removing everything. I also then do a file search and make sure to select including hidden files. Every once in a while you'll find a couple of files or folders that didn't get removed.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:41:13 pm

Yes - worth looking for Language Packs and Help file - usually (well in the past) Help had to be installed first then LibreOffice (or was that with OpenOffice? :oops: )

smhardesty

Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:26:13 pm

It's worth using Synaptic to locate all the packages associated with LibreOffice. You'll find a whole slew of Help files and Language Packs for languages you probably don't need. I always locate those in Synaptic and mark them for Complete Removal. I also take the time to locate all the Fonts I don't want or use. It takes a little time, but I usually clear out a few hundred MB of unwanted files.

kay-dee

Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:30:26 pm

Thank you both, snhardesty and swarfenor. Completely forgot about Synaptic… duh! Found the listings for LibreOffice removal. Now just have to sort out the OpenOffice install. Unfortunately that’s not listed in Synaptic Package Manager so I’ll have to use the download from Oracle and attempt to install it myself; something I still have trouble with after four years with Linux. I used to have a set of commands that, entered into the Terminal, took care of the install but they don’t work any more.

Still locked down here in the DR with an upswing in Covid 19 cases. Struggling with limited access to wifi.
Take care,
Katie

Swarfendor437

Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:50:59 pm

Hi kay-dee,

You take care too! ;) :D