This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Gnomenu covered up by gnome panel with autohide on

Technobabble

Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:57:52 pm

I tried finding mention of this in the forums, but didn't find anything. It's really just a cosmetic issue. I'm using Zorin OS 5.2 Core, with the Win7 theme enabled. When the gnome panel is set to autohide (Right click on panel, select properties, check autohide), the gnomenu opens but the search field, power, lock and plus buttons are covered up by the gnome panel. I realize, I can simply move my mouse away from the gnome panel and it will uncover these buttons. However, I think the expected behavior of the gnomenu, based on how it acts when the gnome panel is not set to autohide, would be for the gnomenu to open above the top edge of the gnome panel. Or, at least, in the foreground on top of the gnome panel. Does anyone have any idea if a setting or conf file can be changed to address this? Thanks!

Technobabble

Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:00:04 pm

Wow, I appreciate the quick response! I took a screen shot of what I was describing in my last post. On my pc, it doesn't matter where the mouse pointer is when I click on the Zorin button. As I said before, this is just an opinionated cosmetic complaint, it's not a functional issue. And certainly, it's not an issue that needs to be addressed by a bug fix. However, if I there's a change that I can make to my system, I'd like to learn what it is and make the change. Thanks!

Wolfman

Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:52:46 am

Hi,

I can only suggest you try a different desktop theme and see if that helps!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Technobabble

Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:24:53 pm

I appreciate the quick responses and suggestions!

madvinegar

Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:48:19 pm

It's strange... I checked at my wife's netbook (yes, I even convinced my wife to use zorin... :D ) who uses the Win7 look.

I made the panel bar to autohide, I then opened the start menu, indeed the power-off buttons etc were covered by the bar, but when I moved the mouse pointer in a higher spot, the panel bar hided again so I could easily use the power-off button etc. Simple as that! ;)

It's strange that your panel bar does not retract when the mouse pointer is moved to a higher spot... :?

Technobabble

Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:38:50 pm

I think this may have been due to the way the video card on that laptop interprets compiz instructions. I recently purchased a new laptop and this is not an issue on the new laptop. I do not have enough knowledge about compiz and video cards to explain it. I don't even know if my assumption is logical, but thanks everyone for your suggestions and desktop pics. I really like that Alienware theme, very slick!

Technobabble

Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:55:11 am

Thanks!