This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Midi under Linux

IanGraham

Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:23:18 pm

I won't post a full query at this stage - but is there anyone here with experience of running MIDI under Zorin ? Or would I be better posting in a different sub-forum ?
Many Thanks
Ian G
Wales UK

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:49:21 pm

I think mdiener is probably the best person to answer any queries about MIDI as he composes music. In the meantime:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/801069/ ... midi-files

IanGraham

Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:44:03 am

Thanks for this. I have continued to look around, and Ubuntu Studio looks like a distro which will install the infrastructure and some aps. I will post again when I've tried it.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:39:54 pm

Funny you should mention that - it came up in the search! ... and I nearly suggested it! :D

mdiemer

Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:22:36 pm

Check out the Reaper forum for the best info anywhere on this:

https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?s=

Short answer, yes it is very possible. but you will be limited by what plugins you can use, as most are made for made for Windows or Mac. Depends on what kind of music you plan to make. for pop, rock and electronic, Linux is fine. For film or classical, not so much. The only decent orchestral library I had running was Garritan Personal Orchestra. See this:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=193761

IanGraham

Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:01:53 pm

Hallo, Mdiemer. As noted earlier, I've ordered Ubuntu Studio and will see how that presents. As far as the music is concerned, I plan to take it very much step by step. All the actual arranging I can still do on familiar softwares under Windows. It's in the actual playing that I'm feeling the pinch - a little notebook (which sat neatly alongside my keyboard) running Win 7 has just died on me. I have a replacement, but it's a matter of either reformating that with an old Windows (XP is still ideal for Midi, in my opinion) - far from straightforward - or running Ubuntu Studio (or something similar) if that will do what I need. My main requirement at this stage is an ap which will read a prepared file and export it to a sound module via USB Midi cable.
Will post updates as the situation clarifies, in case others pass this way.
Sincerely
Ian G
Wales UK

IanGraham

Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:44:42 pm

It has taken me much longer than I would have expected to get to the point of having a stable UbuntuStudio installed on my machine. The reasons for this are mainly commercial: I did not feel confident to follow a DIY method – download, create bootable stick – and therefore bought what I needed. To cut a long story short, the best supplier is rather slow, but has now eventually ‘got there’, and another to whom I turned in interim frustration was quick but the stick was not reliable. Anyhow, I have now got UbuntuStudio on the machine I wanted it for.
My first impression is a non-musical one: it seems a fairly resource-hungry installation. The machine was originally sold with Win 7 installed. I bought it second-hand, and the supplier had put Win 10 on it, which it could no way cope with in any comfort. I installed Zorin as a first step past that, and it was quite ‘nippy’ under Zorin. Now under US, I’m in that situation where you are frequently left wondering whether your command has registered, because visible response is that delayed.
As far as the specifics of the Studio package are concerned: it is generous and capacious ! There are way more apps on the new-instal than I have on my main Zorin computer after two years of daily use, and not least it has the ‘system’ stuff (like Jack) all installed. That said, I think it may take a real Linux-ista to get the best of it. For a Windows-refugee like myself, I think it may be a steep learning curve to get to the point where I don’t have to think how how eg a music ap works, and can just get on with the music. E.g. So far (and yes, it is very early days) no App I’ve tried has recognised my USB midi cable, which under Windows would simply be a matter of plug and play.

mdiemer

Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:22:36 pm

Ian. you are correct, to do serious music on Linux is a steep learning curve. It can be done, but the way to a functioning system is pretty tortured. If you do want to do it I again would suggest the Reaper forum as they have had the most experience with doing this. Everything from the best Linux distro to what plugins work, they have figured it out.

when Windows 7 EOL was approaching, I was hopeful for awhile that I could make the transition to Linux. It just isn't yet possible for my needs. I have never had much luck with wine, and it's going to slow things down anyway. A native DAW is what you need, and Reaper has that, though still in the experimental stage.

IanGraham

Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:01:33 pm

Hallo, again, mdiemer, and thanks for your comments.

There are several strands to this, from my point of view. The biggest factor in looking at the possibilities under Linux was the feeling that (rather as I think you imply for yourself) I am investing a lot in a declining asset in my preference (however well-founded) for older Windows operating systems for music purposes. So I do at least now feel that I have a worst-case option, even if I don't feel it's one I want to invest too much effort in immediately.
My interest in Midi really serves two different needs: (a) preparing backing tracks (often no more than drum and bass) to play with/against at the keyboard and (b) to vary the sound I am actually making from the keyboard. I have a particular interest in 'layering' patches in a search for a more varied, inflected sound other than 'keys'. So I have rarely felt the need for what a full-blown DAW can offer. That is changing, because that seems to be where the development is these days, and I am dipping a toe in with RealBand. I have heard good things about Reaper, and note what you say for future reference. Again, it's striking the balance between supporting one's actual music making, and getting/not getting too hooked up on what may or may not be possible just over one's current horizon.
For the moment, an older PC which I had given away has come back to me unexpectedly, so I think XP may have a further lease of life !
Stay safe and enjoy your music !
Ian G
Wales UK