This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Customize Zorin login screen

krushnowskj2

Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:23:43 pm

Hello all,

I have been playing with linux for some time and cannot for the life of me figure out how to customize the login window for zorin os. ubuntu is very straight forward however zorin is not, and all the resources i have been using have been far from useful. if someone could recommend a program or terminal command to achieve this it would be fantastic. i have been trying to use gnomenu themes, perhaps this is the problem. not sure.

thanks

krushnowskj2

Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:42:30 pm

Thanks for your reply! By customize the login window, i mean the box where you enter your name/password. Ive seen plenty of these for download (.tar.gz) but i have no idea how to install them. ./ configure > make > make install doesnt work. I cant fathom this not being possible and there must be an easy way to do it. Ive managed to cjange the login wall paper and the splash screen, but the password box is stubborn. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Wolfman

Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:53:58 am

Lesik

Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:29:12 pm

I've found an very easy way (I don't know, if it is mentioned yet) to customize it like it is your Zorin Appearance Changer.
Open Terminal and type:

Code:
sudo cp /usr/share/applications/gnome-appearance-properties.desktop /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow

Then log off.
When you see the login screen, the customize windows appears. Customize your Background, colors, icons and pointers. That worked for me on Zorin 5.2 Core (based on Ubuntu 11.04).

Greetings from Germany,
Lesik

Admin-Amir

Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:30:54 am

just one fix here for you.

After you set the log in screen as you like you need to unlink your Desktop.
open terminal:

Code:
sudo unlink /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow/gnome-appearance-properties.desktop

just quick fix. ;)

MSXManiac

Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:15:07 am

And for Zorin 7/8 how can I do this?

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:04:36 pm

MSXManiac wrote:And for Zorin 7/8 how can I do this?

7 is no longer supported - 8 'should' do this once you have used the wallpaper a couple of times of your choice - I tried to add one of my own wallpapers into the 'backgrounds' folder and it was not available through 'backgrounds' but could get it through 'Pictures' folder. It did eventually change to my wallpaper at future logins - other than that I don't know of any other way to change the background.