This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

is content in /var/lib/ucf/cache safe to delete?

quenyan

Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:00:09 am

I'm not sure if the contents in /var/lib/ucf/cache are safe to delete, but I found unused file which I already removed using
Code:
apt remove --auto-remove
, which I dont know why it does not completely remove the related file. there still some debris left.

Aravisian

Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:22:00 am

quenyan wrote:I'm not sure if the contents in /var/lib/ucf/cache are safe to delete, but I found unused file which I already removed using
Code:
apt remove --auto-remove
, which I dont know why it does not completely remove the related file. there still some debris left.

It depends. Some files are safe to delete and others, you may well need. Generally, it can be safely said that deleting all the contents of a cache folder in root can cause a headache if not careful.
As long as you are removing an installation you no longer want and you have checked that it is not integrated with essential software, you should be fine with using Synaptic to remove or using terminal commands to remove.
Sometimes the "--remove purge" command can remove leftover files.

Files are often left behind and the reason for it seems to be: Many people uninstall and then re-install. By leaving some configuration files, it makes a faster and more stable reinstallation of software.

When I am feeling lazy... I just use "Ubuntu Cleaner" tool to tidy up once in a while. It is basic, thorough and easy to use. There are many Cleaning Tools out there, like BleachBit. You can use Synaptic if you have it installed (Click Status tab, then click Residual Configuration files, select what you want to remove, select apply). But I recommend avoiding GtkOrphan. It can easily wipe out your OS if a misclick happens.

quenyan

Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:01:47 am

Aravisian wrote:
quenyan wrote:I'm not sure if the contents in /var/lib/ucf/cache are safe to delete, but I found unused file which I already removed using
Code:
apt remove --auto-remove

It depends. Some files are safe to delete and others, you may well need. Generally, it can be safely said that deleting all the contents of a cache folder in root can cause a headache if not careful.
As long as you are removing an installation you no longer want and you have checked that it is not integrated with essential software, you should be fine with using Synaptic to remove or using terminal commands to remove.
Sometimes the "--remove purge" command can remove leftover files.

Files are often left behind and the reason for it seems to be: Many people uninstall and then re-install. By leaving some configuration files, it makes a faster and more stable reinstallation of software.

When I am feeling lazy... I just use "Ubuntu Cleaner" tool to tidy up once in a while. It is basic, thorough and easy to use. There are many Cleaning Tools out there, like BleachBit. You can use Synaptic if you have it installed (Click Status tab, then click Residual Configuration files, select what you want to remove, select apply). But I recommend avoiding GtkOrphan. It can easily wipe out your OS if a misclick happens.

i see, I will check out the cleaner software now. thanks for the suggestions.