This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] BUG:"blank after" in display not working[LITE]

quenyan

Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:36:08 am

I'm curious why it is not working even tho it is set to "Never" it still goes blank after 4-5 minutes. There is a way to "solve" it but it might not be a solution for everyone. I solved it using "Screensaver" and put it idle after 1440 minutes (equals to 24 hours) which is max as I can get.

Solution:

Code:
xset dpms 0 0 0 && xset s noblank  && xset s off

I just hope that in the future, user doesn't have to use this code instead a proper display setting.

Aravisian

Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:23:31 am

quenyan wrote:I'm curious why it is not working even tho it is set to "Never" it still goes blank after 4-5 minutes. There is a way to "solve" it but it might not be a solution for everyone. I solved it using "Screensaver" and put it idle after 1440 minutes (equals to 24 hours) which is max as I can get.

If I recall correctly, you are using Gnome.
I know that in Zorin Lite (XFCE), the solution is to turn the screensaver off.
According to some old Ubuntu Docs, it can be disabled: https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-h ... nk.html.en
Maybe a gconf setting may help?
SWARF!! Your gnomish expertise...

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:17:11 pm

Aravisian wrote:
quenyan wrote:I'm curious why it is not working even tho it is set to "Never" it still goes blank after 4-5 minutes. There is a way to "solve" it but it might not be a solution for everyone. I solved it using "Screensaver" and put it idle after 1440 minutes (equals to 24 hours) which is max as I can get.

If I recall correctly, you are using Gnome.
I know that in Zorin Lite (XFCE), the solution is to turn the screensaver off.
According to some old Ubuntu Docs, it can be disabled: https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-h ... nk.html.en
Maybe a gconf setting may help?
SWARF!! Your gnomish expertise...

Back to you Aravisian - he is a Lite user - which you have responded to previously. ;) :D

Aravisian

Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:03:11 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Back to you Aravisian - he is a Lite user - which you have responded to previously. ;) :D

Oh. I forgot.
They all look the same to me after a while...

Quenyan, can you kick this into a terminal
Code:

and punch the enter key with your fist?

quenyan

Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:21:41 am

I'm so sorry all, I am a Lite user, I forgot to put the information in the post, I was intent to, but forgot while typing the post. haha

quenyan

Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:40:48 am

Aravisian wrote:
Swarfendor437 wrote:Quenyan, can you kick this into a terminal
Code:

So, basically the option in "Power Management" is basically total disfunction right?

If I punch the {enter} key, then would it be like I got ', [, ], \, and {shift} altogether too then? haha jokes :D

Aravisian

Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:01:03 am

quenyan wrote:
Aravisian wrote:
Swarfendor437 wrote:Quenyan, can you kick this into a terminal
Code:

So, basically the option in "Power Management" is basically total disfunction right?

If I punch the {enter} key, then would it be like I got ', [, ], \, and {shift} altogether too then? haha jokes :D

Part of computer operation includes teaching that computer to respect your authority;)
This is an XFCE bug. There is more than one setting and part of this is because there is a lot of variation on Hardware. Usually, this enables the user being able to make the appropriate settings on diverse hardware, but on occasion, it makes it difficult to get the hardware to actually listen to you.

quenyan

Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:42:24 am

Too bad that this bug is there, just hope for the best future of zorin. I also glad that it does not take long to solve this problem. Thank you for both of you who already participated in this problem solving ceremony.