This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[Solved] VirtualBox crashes after Zorin 15.2 Lite update

wolfsee20

Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:44:23 am

I have Zorin 15.2 Lite running in a VirtualBox under Win10, which has been working nicely until I started up this morning. The last thing I did last night was the installation of the automatic Zorin updates. Then I shut down.
This morning starting up the computer and the VirtualBox, at first it seemed to start normally. However, when I try to login with any user, the VBox crahes opening a Windows dialog window with the following error message (this is a translation from German, so the English wording might actually be different):
Title: VirtualBoxVM.exe - Application Error
Text: The instruction at 0x00007FFB247FD1AD referenced memory at 0x0000000000000068. The memory could not read. Click 'OK' to exit the program.

I tried successfully to start and login into an older VBox installation of Zorin 12.4 Lite as well as a very basic installation of Zorin 15.2 Lite. A clone of the VBox doesn't solve the issue. A reboot of Windows neither. So, I have to assume that the last Zorin update is the actual problem. Any ideas what I can do to rescue the VBox with Zorin 15.2 Lite containing my full setup?
Attached is the VBox log file (maybe not - it doesn't seem to work).

Swarfendor437

Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:44:38 am

I've noticed in times of using VB on Zorin that it no longer works, needing a visit to the official website to download the latest version - then it works again. Have you checked to see that you are using the latest version? I personally have found that Zorin does not run as well as a proper install - this is partly down to the graphics limitation of 128 Mb allocated by VB as its maximum - Menu's 'disintegrate - like looking at an old CRT television that has lost it's horizontal control. Would be nice to try VMWare but that is pricey and a German member is already reporting issues of that in respect of Core. Also Microsoft has been the provider of bad coding for the Linux kernel recently in respect of USB support so don't expect anything to get better soon. There are Linux users with money trying to remove M$ from the equation but it will mean funds to be found of $10M to be rid of the threat. :twisted:

wolfsee20

Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:20:56 pm

Thank you for your wisdom. I updated VirtualBox from 6.1.8 (installed in Mai) to 6.1.12. I also checked if I can ssh into the machine - just in case I needed to do something this way. And then I logged in with the graphical interface after having it sit idle for a little while.
Success! Thank you. I will remember this for future issues.