This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Taskbar on top now and then - reboot fixes it

Nexus6

Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:27:14 am

Hi, I've purchased Zorin Ultimate in the past (I think it was version 9 and 12) and now and then I'm coming back to Zorin. Version 15 has really convinced me as I can use most of my Apps (with Crossover) and Games I like. Well done Linux and Zorin.

One thing I recently noticed and currently holds me back on purchasing the new version is I frequently have the issue that when I start up the computer, the task bar is on the top... (not on the bottom). I tried everything to move it down, but wasn't successful (I'm a noob user). Anyway, I worked out that a simple restart fixes it usually... but it's very annoying that I start up a computer and then need to do a restart... any idea why this is? I'm using the Core version of Zorin.

Thanks for your help.

Aravisian

Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:53:23 am

Nexus6 wrote:Hi, I've purchased Zorin Ultimate in the past (I think it was version 9 and 12) and now and then I'm coming back to Zorin. Version 15 has really convinced me as I can use most of my Apps (with Crossover) and Games I like. Well done Linux and Zorin.

One thing I recently noticed and currently holds me back on purchasing the new version is I frequently have the issue that when I start up the computer, the task bar is on the top... (not on the bottom). I tried everything to move it down, but wasn't successful (I'm a noob user). Anyway, I worked out that a simple restart fixes it usually... but it's very annoying that I start up a computer and then need to do a restart... any idea why this is? I'm using the Core version of Zorin.

Thanks for your help.

Are you using LiveCD or an installed Zorin Core?

Nexus6

Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:41:48 am

Hi Aravisian,

It's installed.

Thanks for your reply..

Kind regards,
Tom

Aravisian

Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:11:04 pm

Nexus6 wrote:Hi Aravisian,

It's installed.

Thanks for your reply..

Kind regards,
Tom

Honestly, I do not have a clue. I have never heard of this, much less seen it. And I no longer use the Gnome Desktop on Zorin. Partly for the reason that you describe: the lack of user-ability to customize or modify due to Gnomes losses in functionality. It has been long enough since i used Gnome that I do not remember how to use it.
Not being able to right click the panel and make changes became a deal-breaker for me. Perhaps a more knowledgeable poster will chime in to help. But in the meantime, maybe we can trade ideas until we find the cause.

From what I remember, the Gnome Panel in Zorin is customized in the Zorin Appearance app by choosing a layout and saving it to your session.
This information is generally stored in /etc/X11/Xsession
You MAY find something indicating it in your Home folder in ~/.profile -It may be worth reading that as a text file.
Also in your home folder is ~/.Xsession-errors which you may paste or review on your own for any errors that indicate an improper boot session that prompted you to reboot.

Have you noticed other changes that were more subtle? Such as a changed wallpaper or Zorin App Menu layout?

Nexus6

Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:32:08 am

I think I found the trigger. As I'm working from home I'm swapping keyboard/mouse (connected through an USB hub) between work laptop and home PC (Zorin). When the home PC is started up without keyboard/mouse the taskbar is on top... strange. So plugging in then restart fixes it. Never mind.. just me :-). Thanks for all your help, I purchased it now.

Aravisian

Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:34:06 am

Nexus6 wrote:I think I found the trigger. As I'm working from home I'm swapping keyboard/mouse (connected through an USB hub) between work laptop and home PC (Zorin). When the home PC is started up without keyboard/mouse the taskbar is on top... strange. So plugging in then restart fixes it. Never mind.. just me :-). Thanks for all your help, I purchased it now.

Probably to accommodate the Onboard on-screen keyboard.