This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Getting Epson WF2010 printer to work

newzedder

Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:27:09 pm

I've recently acquired an Epson WF-2010 printer. Having set it up, Zorin found a driver from the Epson site and prompted download. Seemed to be rather fast, I do wonder whether it actually happened; but nonetheless the printer appears as "ready" in my Settings/Devices/Printers sector and is described as Generic ESC/P dot matrix printer. However, I can't get the computer to talk to the printer.
It is set up on a standard USB cable, computer-to-printer. I switched the printer off and re-booted Zorin, but this made no difference. I then removed the printer from Settings/Devices/Printers and repeated the install, but got the same result.
I'm going through the printer manual now, but can't see any particular clues as to the non-communication. Is anyone familiar with Epsons?
If it doesnt work on Linux, I'll have to install it on one of my older (cough) Windows OS, but it would be nice to solve the Zorin puzzle.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:55:49 am

Epson does not officially support Linux at all and the Linux driver support site offers no driver:

Screenshot_20200726_124048.jpeg

So don't know how you managed to download a driver for linux! :?:

newzedder

Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:40:10 pm

download printer driver.png
Well, this is what came up (shown above).

I also found the same sort of thing here:
https://www.openprinting.org/printer/Ep ... 010_Series

If what you say is correct, then these must be old links; however, this is what Zorin came up with.
I'm not too bothered because the kit is working now on another computer in the house.

Aravisian

Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:45:22 pm

newzedder wrote:I've recently acquired an Epson WF-2010 printer. Having set it up, Zorin found a driver from the Epson site and prompted download. Seemed to be rather fast, I do wonder whether it actually happened; but nonetheless the printer appears as "ready" in my Settings/Devices/Printers sector and is described as Generic ESC/P dot matrix printer. However, I can't get the computer to talk to the printer.
It is set up on a standard USB cable, computer-to-printer. I switched the printer off and re-booted Zorin, but this made no difference. I then removed the printer from Settings/Devices/Printers and repeated the install, but got the same result.
I'm going through the printer manual now, but can't see any particular clues as to the non-communication. Is anyone familiar with Epsons?
If it doesnt work on Linux, I'll have to install it on one of my older (cough) Windows OS, but it would be nice to solve the Zorin puzzle.

EDIT: You posted while I was typing: It looks like you are using the latest driver given your post. However, the link I provided above is for the "Full Featured" and that may be necessary. (lsb3.2)
-Original Post-
Have you checked the latest driver?:
http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/du/02 ... 1d2515a5ff
Hit "accept" then look for this file:
1.93 MB
epson-inkjet-printer-201211w_1.0.0-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb

Select that one and download. Navigate to your Downloads folder ether in terminal
Code:
cd ~Downloads

Or in GUI, then once in Downloads, right click and select "Open in terminal"

Enter in terminal,
Code:
sudo dpkg -i epson-inkjet-printer-201211w_1.0.0-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb
to install.
Then, jump through the Settings>Devices> Select Printer / Select USB connection hoops again...

newzedder

Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:12:48 pm

Thanks Aravisian...I was sure I wasn't imagining that I'd seen an Epson Linux driver.
I've got the deb file now and will give it a go....bit tired, so if I get it wrong I'll have a bash tomorrow and report back.

newzedder

Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:21:26 pm

Ah. Problem.
From the terminal:
Selecting previously unselected package epson-inkjet-printer-201211w.
(Reading database ... 363519 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack epson-inkjet-printer-201211w_1.0.0-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking epson-inkjet-printer-201211w (1.0.0-1lsb3.2) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of epson-inkjet-printer-201211w:
epson-inkjet-printer-201211w depends on lsb (>= 3.2); however:
Package lsb is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package epson-inkjet-printer-201211w (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.28-0ubuntu1+zorin4) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
epson-inkjet-printer-201211w

Where would I find package lsb?
Any thoughts, I'll catch up tomorrow; with thanks.

Aravisian

Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:51:23 pm

newzedder wrote:Ah. Problem.
From the terminal:
Selecting previously unselected package epson-inkjet-printer-201211w.
(Reading database ... 363519 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack epson-inkjet-printer-201211w_1.0.0-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking epson-inkjet-printer-201211w (1.0.0-1lsb3.2) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of epson-inkjet-printer-201211w:
epson-inkjet-printer-201211w depends on lsb (>= 3.2); however:
Package lsb is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package epson-inkjet-printer-201211w (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.28-0ubuntu1+zorin4) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
epson-inkjet-printer-201211w

Where would I find package lsb?
Any thoughts, I'll catch up tomorrow; with thanks.

Yes:
You can download it directly from pkgs.org (I keep this site bookmarked)
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/m ... u1_all.deb
Or from terminal:
sudo apt-get install lsb-base

You can see that Swarf ain't exactly wrong in this... The requirement is in greater than 3.2 and Ubuntu 18.04 was on 9.6.
The old Epson drivers are still available and generally still work. However, Epson stopped providing support for Linux drivers sometime back.
"Important: Epson does not provide support for Linux drivers." - https://epson.com/Support/wa00821

That lsb is missing would explain a lot!

The drivers are available because Espon has changed little about the software for the Printers for many years. So they will continue to work for most normal Epson printers until Espon gets all psycho or something and decides to change their software. Eventually, that will happen. But by then, some open source indie will probably write a patch for it that will solve it.

newzedder

Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:46:23 am

Got all that, with thanks. However it still looks like it isn't going to work:
I tried first the terminal command route:
Here's the terminal output, after putting in the sudo apt-get instruction:

Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
lsb-base is already the newest version (9.20170808ubuntu1).
You might want to run 'apt --fix-broken install' to correct these.
The following packages have unmet dependencies.
epson-inkjet-printer-201211w : Depends: lsb (>= 3.2) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt --fix-broken install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

Did that, and got the following:

E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend - open (13: Permission denied)
E: Unable to acquire the dpkg frontend lock (/var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend), are you root?

That all means nothing to me, so I suspect things won't go any further. But happy to be proved wrong.

Aravisian

Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:07:26 am

newzedder wrote:Got all that, with thanks. However it still looks like it isn't going to work:
I tried first the terminal command route:
Here's the terminal output, after putting in the sudo apt-get instruction:

Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
lsb-base is already the newest version (9.20170808ubuntu1).
You might want to run 'apt --fix-broken install' to correct these.
The following packages have unmet dependencies.
epson-inkjet-printer-201211w : Depends: lsb (>= 3.2) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt --fix-broken install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

Did that, and got the following:

E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend - open (13: Permission denied)
E: Unable to acquire the dpkg frontend lock (/var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend), are you root?

That all means nothing to me, so I suspect things won't go any further. But happy to be proved wrong.

"E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend - open (13: Permission denied)
E: Unable to acquire the dpkg frontend lock (/var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend), are you root?"
This merely means you forgot "superuser do" in front of the command- which is sudo
Code:
sudo apt --fix-broken install

Try that or you can try the following:
Code:
sudo apt-get install printer-driver-escpr

newzedder

Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:30:53 am

YYEEEESSSS! It works! :D
Ran the sudo apt instruction to fix broken install.
Then ran the sudo command for installing the driver.
Added printer to Devices/Printer sector.
Ran test sheet, and bingo, it printed out.

Phew, what a long-winded exercise.
I'm going to take a copy of this discussion and file it away, I'll never remember all the details, for any future
installation repeat.
Thanks for all that information, very valuable. Couldn't have done it without the forum.

Aravisian

Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:36:09 pm

newzedder wrote:YYEEEESSSS! It works! :D
Ran the sudo apt instruction to fix broken install.
Then ran the sudo command for installing the driver.
Added printer to Devices/Printer sector.
Ran test sheet, and bingo, it printed out.

Phew, what a long-winded exercise.
I'm going to take a copy of this discussion and file it away, I'll never remember all the details, for any future
installation repeat.
Thanks for all that information, very valuable. Couldn't have done it without the forum.

I bet this is all you actually need:
Code:
sudo apt-get install printer-driver-escpr

:D