This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Shared Directory Not Listing

krackerjaxz

Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:06:48 am

I have a folder on my computer that I set to be shared. I did this so I could easily access the files and folders in this directory via my smartphone. I have an Android and use an app called Network Browser. The app lets me connect to my local network and. Normally, I just login with the normal username/password that I use on my computer. This would then give me access to any files that are shared. Granted, this was when I had Windows. Now, I have similar setup under Zorin OS.

Here's the problem. When i login, the are is blank (i.e. the shared folder isn't listed(. I have "Share this folder" checked. "Allow users to create and delete files in this folder" is unchecked. "Guest access (for people without a user account)" is also unchecked. Now here's the odd part. If I put a check in the box next to "Guest access (for people without a user account" then I'm able to view the Shared folder and its content. Why? I assumed that option was for anonymous login (i.e. access without actually needing login credentials). If I'm logging in with the correct username and password, I shouldn't need to enable that option.

Aravisian

Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:07:49 am

krackerjaxz wrote:I have a folder on my computer that I set to be shared. I did this so I could easily access the files and folders in this directory via my smartphone. I have an Android and use an app called Network Browser. The app lets me connect to my local network and. Normally, I just login with the normal username/password that I use on my computer. This would then give me access to any files that are shared. Granted, this was when I had Windows. Now, I have similar setup under Zorin OS.

Here's the problem. When i login, the are is blank (i.e. the shared folder isn't listed(. I have "Share this folder" checked. "Allow users to create and delete files in this folder" is unchecked. "Guest access (for people without a user account)" is also unchecked. Now here's the odd part. If I put a check in the box next to "Guest access (for people without a user account" then I'm able to view the Shared folder and its content. Why? I assumed that option was for anonymous login (i.e. access without actually needing login credentials). If I'm logging in with the correct username and password, I shouldn't need to enable that option.

Are you using Samba to set up the network?

krackerjaxz

Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:58:33 am

I just checked and Samba is installed. Is there something I have to configure with Samba?

Aravisian

Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:01:50 am

krackerjaxz wrote:I just checked and Samba is installed. Is there something I have to configure with Samba?

I have No Idea. I never used it.
Hopefully Swarfendor or another Knowledgeable poster can chime in.
I knew just enough to check that you were using Samba, as the app is for Windows Only and Samba patches that gap. Beyond that ventures too far into Windows territory for me. :D

krackerjaxz

Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:14:37 am

I believe there's a major bug in in Zorin and/or Samba. When I got o Software and search for Samba, it shows it's installed. When I double-click on it, I'm brought to the page where I can read the description, click on Launch, or click on Uninstall. I click on Launch and nothing ever happens. I've removed it, rebooted my PC then reinstalled it and clicked on Launch again and yet once again nothing happens.

Aravisian

Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:28:17 am

krackerjaxz wrote:I believe there's a major bug in in Zorin and/or Samba. When I got o Software and search for Samba, it shows it's installed. When I double-click on it, I'm brought to the page where I can read the description, click on Launch, or click on Uninstall. I click on Launch and nothing ever happens. I've removed it, rebooted my PC then reinstalled it and clicked on Launch again and yet once again nothing happens.

I wonder if this is why you had trouble with the app, too.
Let's try a fix:
In terminal please paste in the following after you have installed Samba and checked that it IS installed (replace <username> with your Username on your computer in this line):
Code:
mkdir /home/<username>/sambashare/

Open the .conf in your nano text editor:
Code:
sudo nano /etc/samba/smb.conf

Add the following lines to the bottom of the file by scrolling in the terminal and then pasting this in (Again, replace <username> with your Username on your computer in this line):
Code:
    [sambashare]
    comment = Samba on Ubuntu
    path = /home/<username>/sambashare
    read only = no
    browsable = yes

Restart the service
Code:
sudo service smbd restart

Create the user
Code:
sudo smbpasswd -a username

Please update the thread when you have tried this out.

krackerjaxz

Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:47:16 am

Most of it worked. The last step didn't work. When I ran the command to create the user it asked for "New SMB password:" After I typed in a password it asked me to retype that password. I did that. I got the following error, "Failed to add entry for new user <username>"

Aravisian

Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:59:11 am

krackerjaxz wrote:Most of it worked. The last step didn't work. When I ran the command to create the user it asked for "New SMB password:" After I typed in a password it asked me to retype that password. I did that. I got the following error, "Failed to add entry for new user <username>"

You pick a username.
Like, "krackerjakzamba" :D

krackerjaxz

Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:11:56 am

Yes, I'm aware of that. I simply used <username> to represent the username that I chose. I did the command and replaced <username> with the username I had chosen to create for the SMB. That's when it had given me the error.

Aravisian

Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:30:28 am

krackerjaxz wrote:Yes, I'm aware of that. I simply used <username> to represent the username that I chose. I did the command and replaced <username> with the username I had chosen to create for the SMB. That's when it had given me the error.

My mistake.

Well, will the steps outlined in this Ubuntu (Old!) thread help any?
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1513840
Sorry that I am not much help- this thread is stretching the limits of my experience. As I said, I do not use Samba. When I want to move files around, I use syncloud or Zorin Connect (kde connect) or a flashdrive.
Zorin Connect on my phone handles most tasks- though I do wish it was easier to move a file FROM my computer to my phone as easily as I can move files from my phone to the computer.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:44:30 pm

The last time I used something like this prior to a reinstall was to use Obmin - the downside - no https available but it worked like a charm.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13803&hilit=access+data+from+phone&start=20#p60749

krackerjaxz

Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:46:45 am

Thanks for the tip on Zorin Connect. I installed that on my Android phone and my desktop. Works quite nicely. You commented about being able to easily send files to your computer to your phone. What issue are you having? I sent a test file and it worked fine. I did the following.

1. Open Zorin Connect
2. At the top, next to the name of your device is a set of three vertical dots. Click those dots and then click on "Share."
3. This will open a file selection dialog. Select the file or files you want to send your device.
4. In the top right corner of the dialog box click "send."

That's it. One improvement I'd like to see. It would make it much easier if Zorin Connect were added to the "Copy to" or "Move to" screen. That is, when you right click on a file or set of files and then click on "Move to" or "Copy to" the Zorin Connect device would be listed under the "Other Locations" section.

Aravisian

Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:32:17 am

krackerjaxz wrote:That's it. One improvement I'd like to see. It would make it much easier if Zorin Connect were added to the "Copy to" or "Move to" screen. That is, when you right click on a file or set of files and then click on "Move to" or "Copy to" the Zorin Connect device would be listed under the "Other Locations" section.

Would you be willing to post this in the Feedback Section as a new thread?

krackerjaxz

Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:24:53 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. Just added the post:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15991