This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin Lite asking for username and password on installation

FozzieBear

Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:55:52 pm

I am trying to install Zorin Lite 15.2 on a Pentium 4 based Medion Laptop. I have had secveral attempts at installing lightweight Linux distros on thie mobile workstation but they all have problems with the NVIDIA graphics. Zorin Lite Live distro appears to work fine if I choose Safe Graphics boot option. However when I try and install Zorin lite to the hard drive it changes desktop and asks for a username and passord. I can do nothing except for shutdown. The installation goes as normal until the screen where you choose a username and password. At which point I entered user as the username and password for the password (yes I know its very weak but its for a child to use and wont be accessing the internet) When I hit continue the screen goes black instead of seeing the Zorin logo and the progress bar showing copying files. Whe the screen refreshes I get a different desktop with a black border and the taskbar at the top of the screen instead of the bottom and the lock screen login window which says Other above Enter your username above the field for the password. I have tried
user and password set in the previous setup page as log in credentials but it says password is wrong
live and blank for the password as found on several forums but everything is rejected. I have checked the MD5 checksum of the installation image against the website and that's correct. I have even downloaded the image again and re-burned it to USB as one forum entry from a Zorin user suggested this was sign of a corrupt image, but still no joy. To confirm I have successfully used the original image on two other laptops. I am now stumped and dont know what next to try,
Fozzie

Aravisian

Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:24:18 pm

FozzieBear wrote:I am trying to install Zorin Lite 15.2 on a Pentium 4 based Medion Laptop. I have had secveral attempts at installing lightweight Linux distros on thie mobile workstation but they all have problems with the NVIDIA graphics. Zorin Lite Live distro appears to work fine if I choose Safe Graphics boot option. However when I try and install Zorin lite to the hard drive it changes desktop and asks for a username and passord. I can do nothing except for shutdown. The installation goes as normal until the screen where you choose a username and password. At which point I entered user as the username and password for the password (yes I know its very weak but its for a child to use and wont be accessing the internet) When I hit continue the screen goes black instead of seeing the Zorin logo and the progress bar showing copying files. Whe the screen refreshes I get a different desktop with a black border and the taskbar at the top of the screen instead of the bottom and the lock screen login window which says Other above Enter your username above the field for the password. I have tried
user and password set in the previous setup page as log in credentials but it says password is wrong
live and blank for the password as found on several forums but everything is rejected. I have checked the MD5 checksum of the installation image against the website and that's correct. I have even downloaded the image again and re-burned it to USB as one forum entry from a Zorin user suggested this was sign of a corrupt image, but still no joy. To confirm I have successfully used the original image on two other laptops. I am now stumped and dont know what next to try,
Fozzie

The Zorin LiveCD uses
User: zorin
PW: just left blank
I doubt that is what you are experiencing, but just in case...

I have used just "pw" as the password on one install in my history :P
This sounds like a Login Loop. There can be several causes and therefore, several solutions... Let's try simple, first.

Can you boot, then hit
Code:
ALT-Control-F1
to get to ASCII login
then enter your username and password, then enter in
Code:
rm .Xauthority

Code:
mv ~/.config ~/.config.old

And try logging in after a reboot?

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:20:58 pm

From recent installs where I have tried a password that Sheldon would be critical of it would not let me - it wanted a strong password! Suspect this could be the issue. Login loop is only likely to happen post install not during. ;) :D

FozzieBear

Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:00:44 pm

Aravisian wrote: Can you boot, then hit
Code:
ALT-Control-F1
to get to ASCII login
then enter your username and password, then enter in
Code:
rm .Xauthority

Code:
mv ~/.config ~/.config.old

And try logging in after a reboot?

Many thanks Aravisian but the problem starts before installation. Unless I misunderstand your suggestions above relates to a boot loop for an installed installation. I haven't reached that stage yet. I have booted from Zorin Lite live CD (on a USB stick using Plop Boot manager as the laptop doesn't have legacy USB support) and try to install to the hard drive. It goes through the installation process but as soon as I reach the section to enter a user name and password and select continue is the point where the screen changes and I am prompted to enter a password to unlock the screen. The installation has not even copied the files to the hard drive at this point. Interrupting the boot process with Alt-Control-F1 would be at the boot stage for the live CD which doesnt have a password set?
Thank you Swarfendor437 for your suggestion but if the installation rejects password as not being a complex enough password why did it work on two other laptops using the same credentials. Its got to be something to do with the laptop I think as other linux installations have also failed to complete installation.
I have now booted to a gparted live cd and deleted all the hard drive partitions to see if it will work if the drive is blank!
Many thanks
Fozzie

FozzieBear

Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:15:13 pm

I've just had a thought is there an installation image of Zorin Lite 32 bit available which allows installation from boot rather than installation via the live CD? alternatively can you install directly from the boot menu.
Also I'm not sure if its relevant but I get a Memory corruption in Low Memory message when booting the live CD. Having searched this internet this is common when the system tries to access the lowest 64k of a section of the ROM memory?
Fozzie

Aravisian

Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:17:21 pm

I reserve the right to have idiotic moments now and then.

Prior to trying to install, is your BIOS set to Legacy and not UEFI?