This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS Core Sleep Bug Since Update

krackerjaxz

Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:12:16 am

I've been using Zorin OS Core for about two weeks now. I noticed today that since my system updated that a bug has popped up. This bug has never occurred in the two weeks since I've installed Zorin OS Core. It only started since I updated my system today.

The bug is in relation to the monitor going to sleep. It doesn't log me out or anything like that. Just that my monitor has a message that it's going to sleep. I checked the Power settings and the turn off feature is disabled as I disabled that right after I installed Zorin OS Core. If the mouse is idle for fifteen seconds then the monitor goes to sleep. Once I move my mouse the monitor wakes up.

I've read elsewhere on the forums that there's an issue similar to this and seems that issue was attributed to Ubuntu and Xfce. However, if that's the case, how come this never occurred in two weeks of regular daily usage? As stated, this didn't happen until after my most recent system update. I haven't installed or uninstalled any software recently other than the system update through the Software panel.

***Additional Info***

When I initially posted this, the issue occurred after 15 seconds of the mouse being idle. However, that's not always the case. Sometimes it's after 3-5 seconds of the mouse being idle. It's extremely annoying having to move my mouse every five seconds when I'm reading text on a website.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:01:23 pm

Take a look at the post with 15 votes in favour on this thread:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/47311/h ... g-to-sleep

krackerjaxz

Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:03:27 am

Thanks for the link. It was helpful as it gave me some information about commend line functions in regards to sleep mode and such. I installed the Light Locker software, which is available via the Zorin OS Software package manager. According ot that, I do have blank screens disabled. I only just installed the Light Licker Software a minute or so ago. The thing is, a day or so after making this post there was another software update. After that update and a reboot I didn't have that issue any longer. I don't know what the bug or issue was but it seemed to resolve itself. It had nothing to do with the installation oruninstallation of any software on my end as I haven't installed or uninstalled any software since that incident occurred.

Aravisian

Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:46:23 pm

krackerjaxz wrote:Thanks for the link. It was helpful as it gave me some information about commend line functions in regards to sleep mode and such. I installed the Light Locker software, which is available via the Zorin OS Software package manager. According ot that, I do have blank screens disabled. I only just installed the Light Licker Software a minute or so ago. The thing is, a day or so after making this post there was another software update. After that update and a reboot I didn't have that issue any longer. I don't know what the bug or issue was but it seemed to resolve itself. It had nothing to do with the installation oruninstallation of any software on my end as I haven't installed or uninstalled any software since that incident occurred.

One thing that has kept me with Zorin O.S. is that on any O.S., each update brings the threat of breaking something.
But on Zorin, when it does, another update usually rolls out that fixes it more quickly than I can find and report the issue.

Hey...
I wanna install Light Licker, too...

krackerjaxz

Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:07:34 am

It was a rather quick fix. It was literally the next day or so when the update fixed the problem.