This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

no wifi

ZolkoKft

Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:04:39 pm

Hi,

I am new in Linux thats why I choos Zorin.
I have 15.2 lite version installed.

My first problem is after the installation and booting from the hard drive there is no wifi icon. I cant connect to internet.

Previously the installation when the whole thing boot up from usb drive there was a wifi icon available and was no problem to use it and connect to internet. But after the installation and using the os from the hdd it has disapired.

I couldent find any information how to get able to connect to wifi.

I am asking you to help because without it my linux journey will be really short.

Thx, BR

Swarfendor437

Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:07:40 pm

Hi, Are you able to connect to the router using ethernet cable at all? If so can you open a terminal and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get install net-tools
- you will be asked for your login password to elevate you to 'root' (administrator) in order to install the package. Once installed please run:

Code:
sudo ifconfig -a

and post back the results. ;) :D

Aravisian

Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:18:09 pm

https://askubuntu.com/questions/517467/ ... xfce-panel

XFCE is highly configurable with lots of options, but sometimes it is a bit trying hunting them all down until you have learned the system.
Cinnamon is MUCH easier to use for a new user, whereas KDE desktop is a nightmare trying to find and enable the wifi... I give up every time I try in utter frustration. I have only ever heard about how great KDE is, I have never experienced it and probably never will.
Gnome desktop is pretty easy and automatic with the wifi, too. But it has other failings that cause me to never use it.

You are in safe ground with XFCE or with Cinnamon. I understand your frustration. These days, an unconnected computer is a very large paperweight for most people.