This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Network manager issues. Can't connect to WiFi.

Tsense

Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:35:21 pm

When I boot into zorin from a usb. The Wi-Fi symbol appears but within a few seconds it disappears. In the Wi-Fi settings I'm getting and error that says " contact your software vendor. NetworkManager needs to be running. "

What should I do?

Swarfendor437

Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:24:10 pm

I found this:

https://www.mail-archive.com/desktop-pa ... 38449.html

and this puts things into perspective:

https://fossbytes.com/difference-betwee ... -firmware/

Do you know what chipset is used in your notebook for wireless? ;) :D

Tsense

Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:40:22 am

I'm not tech savvy. Work gave me this usb drive that has zorin installed and I saw a post that someone gave information to type into the terminal which helped diagnose what was wrong.

If I plug in Ethernet cable the same thing happens. At one point it worked fine for about 12 hours but no luck ever since.

I've used the usb on two other computers and it works fine.

The chipset I believe is Qualcomm atheros qca61x4

Does that sound right?

Aravisian

Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:47:41 am

Tsense wrote:I'm not tech savvy. Work gave me this usb drive that has zorin installed and I saw a post that someone gave information to type into the terminal which helped diagnose what was wrong.

If I plug in Ethernet cable the same thing happens. At one point it worked fine for about 12 hours but no luck ever since.

I've used the usb on two other computers and it works fine.

The chipset I believe is Qualcomm atheros qca61x4

Does that sound right?

Are you running the Zorin OS off the USB (LiveCD in Persistance) or did you insert the USB to install Zorin to the computer adn are now running it off the computer, USB not needed?

Tsense

Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:40:39 am

Running it straight off the usb.

Aravisian

Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:28:48 am

Yes, that can happen sometimes when running off USB because you have two main issues: The loading of the kernal and the bottleneck created at the USB port.
Can you try running Zorin off the usb, then opening a terminal and paste in the following in succession:
Code:
sudo apt-get update

Code:
sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source

Code:
sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer

Code:
sudo apt-get install firmware-b43legacy-installer

Code:
sudo modprobe -r b43 bcma

Code:
sudo modprobe -r wl

Code:
sudo modprobe -r brcmsmac bcma

Code:
sudo modprobe brcmsmac

Code:
sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-bcm43.conf

In the editor, check that there is a listing for "blacklist brcmsmac" that is present and Does NOT have a # in front of it. If there is a #, remove it.
If it is not listed, add the line with just
Code:
blacklist brcmsmac

Then hit ctrl+x to exit, hit Y to say yes to save, then hit the Enter key to save as the existing file name. Reboot and test.

Tsense

Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:22:57 pm

Aravisian wrote:Yes, that can happen sometimes when running off USB because you have two main issues: The loading of the kernal and the bottleneck created at the USB port.
Can you try running Zorin off the usb, then opening a terminal and paste in the following in succession:
Code:
sudo apt-get update

Code:
sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source

Code:
sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer

Code:
sudo apt-get install firmware-b43legacy-installer

Code:
sudo modprobe -r b43 bcma

Code:
sudo modprobe -r wl

Code:
sudo modprobe -r brcmsmac bcma

Code:
sudo modprobe brcmsmac

Code:
sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-bcm43.conf

In the editor, check that there is a listing for "blacklist brcmsmac" that is present and Does NOT have a # in front of it. If there is a #, remove it.
If it is not listed, add the line with just
Code:
blacklist brcmsmac

Then hit ctrl+x to exit, hit Y to say yes to save, then hit the Enter key to save as the existing file name. Reboot and test.

Do i need internet for these to work?

Aravisian

Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:28:22 pm

Tsense wrote:Do i need internet for these to work?

Yes, the update and kernel update would require net access.

To simplify things on you, what you can do is turn the computer that you are working on off. Then while holding the Left Shift Key down, boot that computer up. Holding the left shift key will cause it to enter Recovery mode.
After it enters such, you will have a Menu on the screen. arrow down to the Enable Networking Tab and follow the prompts to enable networking (A bit like Windows Safe mode). Then return to that main menu you started from
Tab all the way down to the Drop to prompt
enter the prompts as described above from there. If it cannot do the Apt Update at the very beginning, then that means you do not have net access.

Tsense

Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:59:31 pm

I followed all the prompts and it didn't work

Aravisian

Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:14:34 pm

Tsense wrote:I followed all the prompts and it didn't work

I understand that frustration. But I really need you to be more specific- What do you mean by, "it did not work"?
Did all the prompts go through successfully, but you are still unable to connect to the net?
Did the prompts fail and not go through successfully?
Were you unable to establish net connection from the recovery mode menu?

Tsense

Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:07:09 pm

Aravisian wrote:
Tsense wrote:I followed all the prompts and it didn't work

I understand that frustration. But I really need you to be more specific- What do you mean by, "it did not work"?
Did all the prompts go through successfully, but you are still unable to connect to the net?
Did the prompts fail and not go through successfully?
Were you unable to establish net connection from the recovery mode menu?

Hey, sorry. Hectic morning. When I did left shift and power it didn't take me into recovery mode.

But I'm unable to run Zorin directly from my computer. Work instructs to use the USB only.

Strangely though when I booted up I ended up having internet. I went through all the prompts and the editor had the correct information so I saved and exited. Restarted and I still have internet.

Time will tell if it's dumb luck or if everything's fixed. But thank you for your help. So far so good

The one difference was when I booted the WiFi disappeared and then came right back and stayed . Usually when it disappears it's just gone.

zabadabadoo

Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:42:53 pm

Aravisian wrote:Are you running the Zorin OS off the USB (LiveCD in Persistance)..... ?

Maybe the overlooked word here is "Persistence".
I don't think the OP confirmed the USB (not of his making) has Persistence memory or not. Is Persistence needed on the Live USB to hold the settings you proposed?
Just a wild guess, not following the science. Apology if red herring.

Tsense

Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:02:51 pm

zabadabadoo wrote:
Aravisian wrote:Are you running the Zorin OS off the USB (LiveCD in Persistance)..... ?

I don't think the OP confirmed the USB (not of his making) has Persistence memory or not. Is Persistence needed on the Live USB to hold the settings you proposed?

No clue it's a work issued usb it's a data traveler 100g3

Aravisian

Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:22:55 pm

zabadabadoo wrote:

I do not think it is a Red Herring, at all. In fact, I was thinking I may be more help if it was an installed OS instead of a USB run OS.
From what the OP describes, it sounds like the Zorin OS is installed on the USB drive as a portable hard drive, which means it must have persistence.
I found this thread, but it only offers one of the same solutions I suggested:
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2391434

This Quora says: https://www.quora.com/Can-you-connect-t ... a-live-USB
Part of the problem may have to do with the drivers for the WiFi device not being present in the LiveCD version of the USB thumb-drive installer. What you can do is open a terminal session and see if there are any WiFi drivers installed/running, and you can do this by issuing the following command, assuming I’ve plugged in a USB WiFi device:

The suggestion is (which... requires an active net connection...)
Code:
sudo apt install git

Code:
git clone https://github.com/smlinux/rtl8723de.git -b 5.0-up

Code:
sudo apt-get install dkms

Code:
sudo dkms add ./rtl8723de

Code:
sudo dkms install rtl8723de/5.1.1.8_21285.20171026_COEX20170111-1414

Code:
sudo depmod -a

zabadabadoo

Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:33:39 am

Tsense wrote:Time will tell if it's dumb luck or if everything's fixed. But thank you for your help. So far so good

@Tsense. I must have missed the above line in your earlier post. So is everything still fixed and OK?

Aravisian

Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:48:22 am

zabadabadoo wrote:
Tsense wrote:Time will tell if it's dumb luck or if everything's fixed. But thank you for your help. So far so good

@Tsense. I must have missed the above line in your earlier post. So is everything still fixed and OK?

I missed that, too. :|

Swarfendor437

Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:57:09 am

My question is, "Did work provide you the USB with Zorin already on there?" If the answer is "Yes" and they say just run off the usb that is all they want you to do with it - perhaps they want you to use it for remote login using Firefox? ;) :D