This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How to disable automatic mount of HDs

Doncic

Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:47:16 pm

Hi, I'd like Zorin to not mount automatically other partitions (windows) and usb.
how can I do that?
thank you

Swarfendor437

Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:15:49 pm

Hi, I actually did not think it automounts the drives - you have to select one first - sure it identifies other drives but will not mount until you sayso - unlike FerenOS! :o Which DOES automount! :shock:

Doncic

Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:38:20 pm

if I insert usb it says "automatically mounted" and when I start zorin, the windows partition is already mounted, I can browse it

Aravisian

Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:11:59 pm

As you are using Zorin Lite, which is XFCE, you will need to adjust using xfconf-query
To disable automount on drives, in terminal paste in:
Code:
xfconf-query -c thunar-volman -p /automount-drives/enabled -s false # disable drive automount

-on media:
Code:
xfconf-query -c thunar-volman -p /automount-media/enabled -s false # disable media automount

If you want to prevent a new automounted window opening:
Code:
xfconf-query -c thunar-volman -p /autobrowse/enabled -s false # disable thunar popping up

You can check your results with:
Code:
xfconf-query -c thunar-volman -l

Doncic

Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:45:46 am

Aravisian wrote:As you are using Zorin Lite, which is XFCE, you will need to adjust using xfconf-query
Code:
xfconf-query -c thunar-volman -p /automount-drives/enabled -s false # disable drive automount

-on media:
Code:
xfconf-query -c thunar-volman -p /automount-media/enabled -s false # disable media automount

Code:
xfconf-query -c thunar-volman -p /autobrowse/enabled -s false # disable thunar popping up

Code:

thank you very much, what does "-on media" mean?

Aravisian

Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:03:39 pm

Doncic wrote:
Aravisian wrote:As you are using Zorin Lite, which is XFCE, you will need to adjust using xfconf-query
Code:

-on media:
Code:

Code:

Code:

thank you very much, what does "-on media" means?

"On Media" - I meant "on the topic of Media, here is the terminal command for that:"
Media being whether the system automounts CD's, DVD's and other media.

MBMz10

Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:41:58 am

Is it 'mounted' or just 'visible' in the file manager as a device?

Swarfendor437

Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:04:43 am

Don't know about Lite as in Core it just shows up - normally mounted drives partitions will have the eject symbol at the side of it:

media-eject.png
media-eject.png (344 Bytes)

Doncic

Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:41:43 am

MBMz10 wrote:Is it 'mounted' or just 'visible' in the file manager as a device?

I found a setting in the GUI that disable automatic mount of usb (yes it said "automatically mounted).

as far as the windows partition is concerned..good question, I don't know, I click on it, than a wheel appears and then I can explore it