This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin Lite 15.2 on 2006 MacBook Pro: How to right-click?

UglyStuff

Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:52:51 am

Hi everyone,

After experiencing a little bit of trouble installing Zorin Lite 15.2 on my 2006 MacBook Pro (see here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16012&p=73498&e=73498), I now have it up and running.

Problem is, I can't for the life of me understand how to right-click...

Ctrl-click won't work, nor will Alt/Option-click, or any other key combination.

Knowing that I must do with the integrated Touchpad, can anyone tell me how to enable right-click, or point me (guffaw, guffaw) to a good third-party software that'll add functionalities to the existing Mouse & Touchpad applet in Settings?

Aravisian

Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:37:37 pm

I am assuming you are using Zorin Core (Gnome desktop) or Ultimate (With Gnome). If you are using Zorin lite (XFCE desktop) then this post will not apply to you.

Install Gnome-tweaks:
Code:
sudo apt install gnome-tweaks

On the left, select keyboard and mouse
On the right checkmark the setting for "area."

EDIT:
I just saw your TITLE that I failed to read... Says "Lite." FOr Lite (XFCE) do the following:
For some, right click on a touchpad on XFCE is a three finger tap, not two finger; Please try this first.
If no-go, there...
In terminal, enter:
Code:
sudo nano /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf

Scroll down to "input class" and set it to look like the following:
Code:
Option          "TapButton1" "1"
Option          "TapButton2" "3"
Option          "TapButton3" "2"

UglyStuff

Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:52:39 pm

Hi Aravisian,

Thanks for taking the time. Alas, I haven't been able to do as you say. I understand that Gnome Tweak Tool isn't available on Lite, for some reason I can't quite fathom but have to accept.

However, though I've modified the file in question, right-click by way of the touchpad is still erratic. It'll work fine twice in a row, then will stop working altogether until i reboot.

Sad truth is, in its current state, Zorin is unusable for me. Just right now, the desktop environment won't launch after a reboot. I'm at the prompt, it says something about a Bluetooth interface having an issue (I disabled it altogether because I don't use it), and I can't start the GUI. I sudo halt-ed the OS, but I'm still stuck and had to force shutdown it.

There seems to be issues with hardware compatibility: Zorin never, and I mean NEVER, starts alright on first attempt. Looks like the graphics driver is crashing or some such thing, because the screen flickers, then the Mac restarts on its own. Second time, I used to be able to boot normally, until now.

It's too bad, because I like the look and feel of Zorin Lite, but I can't use it. I'm going to reinstall Linux Mint XFCE and apply the Zorin theme to it, and see how it goes.

Thanks for taking the time, in any case. Have a great day, or evening (here, it's almost 8pm)!

Aravisian

Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:04:36 pm

UglyStuff wrote:Hi Aravisian,

Thanks for taking the time. Alas, I haven't been able to do as you say. I understand that Gnome Tweak Tool isn't available on Lite, for some reason I can't quite fathom but have to accept.

This is because Zorin Lite uses the XFCE desktop. The tweak tool is for Gnome Desktop environment.
UglyStuff wrote:However, though I've modified the file in question, right-click by way of the touchpad is still erratic. It'll work fine twice in a row, then will stop working altogether until i reboot.

Sad truth is, in its current state, Zorin is unusable for me. Just right now, the desktop environment won't launch after a reboot. I'm at the prompt, it says something about a Bluetooth interface having an issue (I disabled it altogether because I don't use it), and I can't start the GUI. I sudo halt-ed the OS, but I'm still stuck and had to force shutdown it.

There seems to be issues with hardware compatibility: Zorin never, and I mean NEVER, starts alright on first attempt. Looks like the graphics driver is crashing or some such thing, because the screen flickers, then the Mac restarts on its own. Second time, I used to be able to boot normally, until now.

It's too bad, because I like the look and feel of Zorin Lite, but I can't use it. I'm going to reinstall Linux Mint XFCE and apply the Zorin theme to it, and see how it goes.

Thanks for taking the time, in any case. Have a great day, or evening (here, it's almost 8pm)!

I have come across articles all about emulating the look and feel of Zorin O.S. on other distros. It seems you are not alone.

I am sorry that Zorin has not worked out. I have never installed it to a Macbook - In fact, I have never used a Macbook.
I used a Macintosh computer back around 1991 or 1992 as a kid... I cannot be much help. My own experiences with Zorin on Intel devices has been Above and Beyond.
Perhaps someday you will get a different machine and throw Zorin 16 or Zorin 18 on it. ;)