This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Remove unwanted update offerings

tld6008

Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:06:55 pm

I'm using Zorin 15.2 and periodically get software update recommendations. Many times there are items I do not want to install and I deselect those ones and install the items that seem relevant. On that screen it appears to have an option to add or remove items but It doesn't function so all the items I deselect keep returning with the next batch of recommendations. Is there a way to remove these as it appears there should be?

Aravisian

Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:14:01 pm

tld6008 wrote:I'm using Zorin 15.2 and periodically get software update recommendations. Many times there are items I do not want to install and I deselect those ones and install the items that seem relevant. On that screen it appears to have an option to add or remove items but It doesn't function so all the items I deselect keep returning with the next batch of recommendations. Is there a way to remove these as it appears there should be?

I hear you and I feel your pain.
Updates are a natural thing and accepting some and rejecting others should not seem like a big deal or frequent enough to drive a person crazy. Yet, it can do so... I had a similar problem that -I Kid you not- I only Just Solved 5 minutes before writing this post. That had to do with file associations, not this topic though.

On this topic, updates are pushed through from the outside. You cannot really tell a server to not do what it does.
The only way I can think of off the top of my head is to place an apt-mark hold on items you do not want updated.
I did this on Gimp 2.8.
While the updates appear on the update popup window, they are automatically deselected and do not go through, even if I just hit the accept button at the bottom and let the updater run.