This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

New install/user, cannot get wifi to work, need help.

Coyle

Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:44:43 pm

Hello, I just installed Zorin Lite but cannot get online, only access to wifi. Tried creating wifi: added my ssid, password etc but nothing. I have installed puppy and beaver linux without internet issue; can someone explain to me how you get the wifi to work? Thanks.

Swarfendor437

Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:54:09 am

Over to you Aravisian! ;) :D

Aravisian

Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:41:17 pm

One of the most notorious solutions is to check if your notebook or pc has a WiFi switch that enables or disables the wifi. This feature by some manufacturers has baffled many, only to find all they needed to do was Hit the Button to turn it on.
Please check this first as you could easily be a victim of such a thing.
Could you please give the specs of your machine: make model and build...

Next, let's try a simple terminal command to start the wifi service and see if that jiggles the handle, so to speak:
Code:
sudo systemctl enable NetworkManager && sudo systemctl start NetworkManager

If that fails, will need to ask you to copy this and paste in terminal, then post the output here:
Code:
inxi -Fx

Probably needs an updated driver.

Coyle

Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:02:42 pm

Tried it, none of that worked, couldn't enable networking. You're probably right that it needs updated driver. Can hook it up to ethernet just a real hassle as it's up on a high shelf etc, but will do that and see if it connects.
My laptop is an HP Compaq NX9600: Pentium 4 3.6ghz, 2gb ram, broadcom wireless (wifi is activated, I know the button you mean, have had this laptop a long time and is a dual boot, was just using windows before deleting bpup for this.)

Aravisian

Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:22:59 pm

Aravisian wrote:If that fails, will need to ask you to copy this and paste in terminal, then post the output here:
Code:
inxi -Fx

Swarfendor437

Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:14:22 am

If it's broadcom chipset follow the guide here:

https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/broadco ... -tip/12844

Coyle

Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:55:08 am

Are there any advantages to using Zorin over say Puppy Linux? I wanted to be able to use this as a school laptop, so need to be able to run zoom, and the various programs school uses for teaching at home. Seems like my laptop is working harder with Zorin. It is Pentium 4 3.6ghz 2gb ram.

Aravisian

Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:46:06 pm

Coyle wrote:Are there any advantages to using Zorin over say Puppy Linux? I wanted to be able to use this as a school laptop, so need to be able to run zoom, and the various programs school uses for teaching at home. Seems like my laptop is working harder with Zorin. It is Pentium 4 3.6ghz 2gb ram.

Without really knowing your full build and requirements, I think anyone would be hard pressed to suggest advantages. There may be some in the case of bundled CLI apps, like Magick, TLP and so on.
But if you are experiencing sluggishness with a heavier OS than Puppy, then that is your experience.

If I could make a recommendation if Speed and Responsiveness along with functionality are your goal:
Try Antix O.S. It is a fast and very lightweight non-systemd OS.

Swarfendor437

Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:00:17 pm

I wouldn't be using Zoom either - I work for a service based inside a school and I will only use https://meet.jit.si - I refuse to use Zoom that lied from day one that it was E2E (End to End Encryption). And as leader of the local Linux User Group pointed out that whilst Ends might be encrypted it does not mean the middle is vulnerable, such as Skype! ;)

Coyle

Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:57:53 pm

Aravisian wrote:
Coyle wrote:Are there any advantages to using Zorin over say Puppy Linux? I wanted to be able to use this as a school laptop, so need to be able to run zoom, and the various programs school uses for teaching at home. Seems like my laptop is working harder with Zorin. It is Pentium 4 3.6ghz 2gb ram.

Without really knowing your full build and requirements, I think anyone would be hard pressed to suggest advantages. There may be some in the case of bundled CLI apps, like Magick, TLP and so on.
But if you are experiencing sluggishness with a heavier OS than Puppy, then that is your experience.

If I could make a recommendation if Speed and Responsiveness along with functionality are your goal:

Here's the specs for it: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00285151 mine has the 3.6ghz pentium 4, and the max 2gb ram, ati x300 64mb graphics rest is standard. Is good laptop build, jbl speakers, 17" screen, full size keyboard; was business laptop.

Aravisian

Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:24:41 pm

Coyle wrote:
Aravisian wrote:

Here's the specs for it: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00285151 mine has the 3.6ghz pentium 4, and the max 2gb ram, ati x300 64mb graphics rest is standard. Is good laptop build, jbl speakers, 17" screen, full size keyboard; was business laptop.

You are right, that is a tough little machine with a solid build to it. It also would be considered low spec by today. It is a pretty old machine.
I have a similar machine that is actually a bit older which I opted to install Zorin 12.4 LITE on. (Still supported).
It runs like a champ. But I will admit that Antix or Puppy (openbox) would probably run faster on it.

The reason I opted for Zorin 12.4 Lite on my toughbook was because when I tested many different distros on it, Zorin 12 kicked all the others to the curb in regards to performance. CPU usage was lower and if it rose, would drop again pretty quickly.
Antix ande Puppy both showed Better Performance and speed... But came with less installed CLI that made new installations or adding weight often tedious, so I chose Zorin as Mid-range weight for that reason.