This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Not honoring mimeapps.list

Aravisian

Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:55:52 am

System is not honoring the mimeapps.list, specifically file associations removed:
[Removed Associations]
image/jpg=firefox.desktop;
image/png=firefox.desktop;xine.desktop;
image/gif=firefox.desktop;

Every guide I have looked up all make the same claim: that the above should work.

It does not work. After every reboot or logout, Firefox is again demanding First Pick at opening an IMAGE file (not even a web file! WTF is FireFox doing being associated with my image files?!)
I have been trying to solve this for almost a year. I THOUGHT I solved it earlier today as two log out and in seemed to show no sign of Firefox being the first runner up to open a png.
Until ten minutes ago.

The mimeapps.list is placed in /user/share/applications and in ~/.local/share/applications. Nothing works.

Swarfendor437

Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:58:51 am

Does this help at all or am I repeating what you have tried?:

https://libre-software.net/change-the-d ... nt-ubuntu/

Aravisian

Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:01:12 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Does this help at all or am I repeating what you have tried?:

https://libre-software.net/change-the-d ... nt-ubuntu/

I am sorry, I was not very clear.

The problem is not the default, but the "Open With" suggestions".

As you know, I do a lot that causes me to open images with Blender, Gimp, inkscape and others like Pinta or Krita.
So the way I have this set up is that it defaults for some files to Gimp and others to Inkscape and others to Pinta.
Now, let's say that I need to open an image file set to Pinta with Gimp, instead. I right click and then drop down to "Open with" and then slide to the right: First suggestion is Gimp and I click and keep on workin'.
However, Firefox assumes ALL PRIORITY and inserts itself in as the Top "Open With" Suggestion for opening Image files (of all things) on occasion, causing me to completely lose steam and speed while working having to close that out, go into pkexec, go into root, remove "firefox.desktop;" from the mimeapps.cache in /usr/share/applications and then re-open the file in Gimp.
I would not even care if Firefox was suggested on the associations if it was beneath all the Actual Image Editing Apps as I would never really run into it. It is that it asserts itself to the top overriding all other image editing apps that causes me to be going insane over it.
Firefox always asserts itself at the top of the list in the OpenWith popover. Which adds strangeness to why it is there at all; that it is Top Dog.
So, I invariably always click on it when moving quickly while working, because it is always First Suggestion even over GIMP and Inkscape.

In the old days of Nautilus, there was an option under properties to "Forget association", but of course, Gnome being Gnome, they removed that...

The fix I have tried is:
Create a mimeapps.list that mimics the mimeapps.cache in all ways, but without those associations in ~/.local/share/applications.
Nope.
Placed it in /usr/share/applications.
Nope.
Added to that the lines:
[Removed Associations]
image/jpg=firefox.desktop;
image/png=firefox.desktop;
image/gif=firefox.desktop;

This one seems to work through a couple restarts- then when I am good and comfortable again, Firefox reappears and tries to open Image Files.

FireFox support says this si not on them, but on the Linux OS determining the file associations.

EDIT:
While the /usr/share/applications folder copy of the mimeapps.list had the above, the ~/.local/share/applications copy had:
[Removed Associations]
image/jpg=firefox.desktop
image/png=firefox.desktop
image/gif=firefox.desktop

I added the semicolons that were missing. Logged out and in and so far so good but if experience tells me anything, it won't last...

Aravisian

Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:41:35 am

I may have found a valid solution.

I installed Vivaldi Browser.

I utterly destroyed Firefox off my machine.

Problem solved. :evil:

Swarfendor437

Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:54:59 pm

I switch between Waterfox and Vivaldi and Brave Browser - depending what mood I'm in! But mainly Waterfox on both Feren and Zorin. :D

Aravisian

Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:08:32 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:I switch between Waterfox and Vivaldi and Brave Browser - depending what mood I'm in! But mainly Waterfox on both Feren and Zorin. :D

Waterfox was doin' the same thing...

I just noticed that Vivaldi does, but instead of being Top O' The List, it is about four options down.
:)

Aravisian

Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:47:01 pm

Vivaldi uses css with a bit more accessibility than Firefox does.
So I Azenis-black themed it, along with some Icons:
vivaldi-Azenis.png