This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

About partitions

iero79

Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:47:31 pm

Hi, I'm new to Linux, and this is my first time using Zorin.
When I installed it I didn't think about creating a partition to safeguard documents, as I had in Windows, because I know that partitions in this OS work differently.
So, I want to create a partition my way, but I can't do it with my own system manager, nor with Gparted, neither of them allow me to resize the partitions. Is there any way I can do this?.
Because, I want to have a partition in ntfs, so I mentioned above.
Thank you very much.

Swarfendor437

Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:39:51 pm

Hi, Did you do an automatic install? I am not sure if it will work but you should be able to shrink the partition that Zorin is on - that said I have never done that myself.
I would backup any critical stuff and follow my video guide here:

https://vimeo.com/266410509

iero79

Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:35:17 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, Did you do an automatic install? I am not sure if it will work but you should be able to shrink the partition that Zorin is on - that said I have never done that myself.
I would backup any critical stuff and follow my video guide here:

https://vimeo.com/266410509
Yes, automatic install.

iero79

Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:25:24 am

Hi, I think I have the answer, and that's because the disk is encrypted.
That is, with my little knowledge of Linux, I think I'm interested in reinstalling the system, but without such encryption, therefore, I should have no problem doing what I'm interested in.

I take advantage of this thread to make another query, different, so I don't need to open a new thread.
I use Google Chrome, and I have uninstalled Firefox, but the system updates indicate that I have updates to the Firefox language packs.
How can I remove those packages?, there are really too many of them on my system.

Thanks for everything.

Swarfendor437

Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:57:37 pm

OK, if not installed already, install Synaptic Package Manager using Software. Once installed, click on the search button in the middle of the windows of Synaptic (you will be asked for login password to elevate you to 'root' to change/install packages) and search for 'language' - this should return all language packs for various applications - mark each one that you don't want for complete removal so they don't turn up again. ;) :D

iero79

Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:50:31 pm

Perfect! Thank you.
Although I had to use the command first.

sudo apt-get update

Thanks again.