This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Install webcam

IanGraham

Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:13:10 am

Morning, Zorin world !

Have just bought a webcam for contact with my family.......The machine on which I run Zorin does not have a built-in camera. The cam itself is absolutely plug-and-play in Windows, but I'd rather have it on my Zorin terminal.

So: thus far I can find no way in to 'camera' - nothing in Settings, nothing in 'Other Media' (which I'd never found till now). No possible connection in Xnview, which is my usual graphics ap.

Do I need to manually install the cam ? If so, the exact critical command lines would be much appreciated !

Thanks in anticipation.

Ian G
Wales, UK

Aravisian

Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:22:49 am

"Cheese" comes installed with Zorin, I believe.

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:34:58 pm

Cheese does indeed come instaled in Zorin - if it works, then your webcam is compatible for video conferencing.
Avoid:
1. Skype (as pointed out by leader of local LUG whilst the people at the end of each conversation might be encrypted there is no guarantee at the data centre that hooks people up to each other - an interesting anecdote here - a bunch of students with no vision managed to hook up a Taxi firms skype to a business conference in Japan and the Taxi firm could not unhook!
2. Zoom has lied since day one about E2E (End to end Encryption).

Personally, just use either Chrome, Chromium, Waterfox or Brave Browser and go to https://meet.jit.si - create a room title of your choice - the more bizarre the better and create a secure password that you notify other users if you are setting up the meeting. ;) :D

IanGraham

Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:35:19 am

Apologies to both respondents. I didn't get the notifications, probably hadn't ticked the little box...............

Yes.........so someone has a sense of humour: "Cheese", indeed !

Ian G.

Swarfendor437

Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:30:03 am

That would be the authors of the program! Gorgonzola! :lol: