This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Screen not displaying correctly on new install

jno

Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:27:43 pm

I just installed Zorin 15 Lite (32 bit) on my old Fujitsu Siemens Scenic 300 PC (Pentium 4, 2Gb RAM) after using the live CD.

Everything on live CD was fine, but after installing to HDD, the PC boots to GUI but the letters and graphics are incomprehensible. I think it might be an Invidia driver problem? Everything but the display works it aeems
justLlines through everything means I can't work with anything so I need a fix via recovery mode please please.

When I choose recovery mode it always displays everything, just in 640x480 but at least I can see what I'm doing.

Is there anyway for me just to use the same drivers as recovery mode on a normal boot?

Unfortunately any fix would have to be done via recovery mode or somehow before the gui starts up.

Any help appreciated and thanks for your time, I really like the idea of using Zorin but this issue is annoying.

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:47:42 pm

Unfortunately, Fujitsu has never been very good at supporting linux - having looked for the Scenic series of notebooks they only offer DOS and Windows drivers and non-OS drivers (which will probably mean BIOS updates). Unless I can be corrected, I fear you are on a hiding to nothing. On servers they only offer Red Hat Server support which uses a different package manager. :(

Aravisian

Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:16:50 pm

Sadly, Swarf is correct. However, not all hope is lost. You might try installing Ubuntu via netboot. Then install Zorin over it.

jno

Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:41:23 am

Thanks for the quick replies. Oh dear :(

I have had Bodhi linux working on the same machine no problem, but also had a similar issue using Lubuntu in the past.

I find it annoying that the Live CD works but as soon as I do a standard HDD install the display turns to ____. I'd be quite content working in 800x600 or 1024x768 like the recovery mode offers, is there no way to get a simple vanilla type version to start up?

Aravisian

Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:11:08 am

jno wrote:Thanks for the quick replies. Oh dear :(

I have had Bodhi linux working on the same machine no problem, but also had a similar issue using Lubuntu in the past.

I find it annoying that the Live CD works but as soon as I do a standard HDD install the display turns to ____. I'd be quite content working in 800x600 or 1024x768 like the recovery mode offers, is there no way to get a simple vanilla type version to start up?

Would the guide outlined here help?
https://itectec.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-chang ... esolution/

jno

Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:17:14 am

Apologies for the double post but I have a mini solution. Firstly, I removed my graphics card which was a X1650PRO Radeon 512Mb AGP. Zorin now boots and I can see everything but I am trapped in 640x480 (which is what I am typing in now).

So running
Code:
sudo lshw -c video
gives me:

Code:
*-display UNCLAIMED       
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: 661/741/760 PCI/AGP or 662/761Gx PCIE VGA Display Adapter
       vendor: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
       version: 00
       width: 32 bits
       clock: 66MHz
       capabilities: pm agp agp-3.0 vga_controller cap_list
       configuration: latency=0
       resources: memory:f0000000-f7ffffff memory:e8100000-e811ffff ioport:3000(size=128) memory:c0000-dffff

So, to pose another question - if I reinsert the X1650PRO is there a simple Radeon driver I can use to get out of 640x480?

Alternatively, can I get out of 640x480 resolution by using any other method with the above info?

Again, any help appreciated. Cheers

Aravisian

Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:22:44 am

jno wrote:So, to pose another question - if I reinsert the X1650PRO is there a simple Radeon driver I can use to get out of 640x480?

Alternatively, can I get out of 640x480 resolution by using any other method with the above info?

Again, any help appreciated. Cheers

Yes, you can insert the card and try checking the AMD drivers
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/cos ... eon.4.html

Also, I posted a walkthrough you may also look over in the post between your two posts.