This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Using Chromium

IanGraham

Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:32:04 am

Morning, all

From/in Zorin, Chromium is my default browser. I get a bit frustrated whenever I want to take a bit of specific control that almost all searches about Chromium itself seem to segue into offerings about either Chrome or Microsoft Edge's adoption of Chromium.

My immediate focus is: I'd like to inspect cookies with reference to one particular site, where I think an older cookie may be cramping current use. What I don't want to do is just 'clear all cookies,' not even for a specified date range.

All hints welcome !

Ian G.

Aravisian

Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:41:38 pm

I do not know about Chromium. I am using Vivaldi, which is a fork of Crhome and same build as Chromium.
In it, you can open your settings from the browser panel, or from Tools > settings
Go to the Privacy Tab, then scroll down to Cookies. Hit the button that says "Display Saved Cookies".

Hopefully, this helps and is pertinent to your browser, too. If not, I doubt me searching the web will yield better results than your searches have...

IanGraham

Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:15:02 pm

Hallo, A.

Yes, I'm familiar with Vivaldi, which I use in another context.......I agree, V's provision for this is exemplary, and very near the surface,
Spurred on by you, I went again to Chromium, and in fact a similar 'service' is available, but it's quite a long way down:
Settings
>site settings
>cookies and site data
>see all cookies and site data

Thanks for your input.

Sincerely
Ian G.

Aravisian

Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:00:54 pm

Are you able to use it to resolve the problem?

IanGraham

Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:02:48 pm

Yes, I was. It's quite laborious because you have to simply scroll manually through all the sites for/from which you have cookies, but I found what I was looking for, and deleting those cookies does seem to have done the trick.
Thank you
Ian G.

Finston Pickle

Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:49:39 am

Out of interest - how do you spot a "bad " cookie?

I have a shedload, half of which I cannot imagine how they got there and do not recognise visiting.

This is after I have always set my browsers to minimise cookie update (or so I thought). Also, once the little devils are in - do they get used by all the browsers on your system? - who knows.

The only thing that stops me deleting all is the fear that useful websites - banking etc. and remembered access to them may be cream crackered by such a move.

IanGraham

Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:32:04 am

'how do you spot a bad cookie ?'
Well, I didn't, exactly. It was re the website for the LRB, for which I had registered to get online access to articles, and even after I had registered and logged in, I was still getting limits and warnings as if I were a casual browser. I contacted them, and they suggested I 'clear the cookies' (they seemed to recognise a familiar issue). So once I found the method, I simply cleared all the cookies relating to that site, and it has worked a treat.
I generally take a fairly relaxed attitude to cookies. For things I regard as critical eg financial things, signing in to Paypal etc, I never allow 'remember', but for eg sites like this, I generally use a password that is fairly strong, and then enable 'remember me' and it makes life that much simpler.
The other issue that I keep coming back to and have not yet solved is Google ads. Google is not my default search engine, though sometimes if a search isn't turning up what I'm looking for, I do sometimes go over to Google, and generally it does turn out to have a wider reach. I have a Google id, which has its uses (again, it can have a role in remembering some site access data), and I therefore have so far not signed out. But all that said, on some websites (and it does vary a lot) the Google ad pop-ups can be very aggressive.
We're still on the old GUI,I see. I have signed up to the new set-up.

Ian G
Wales

Aravisian

Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:14:26 am

IanGraham wrote: Google is not my default search engine, though sometimes if a search isn't turning up what I'm looking for, I do sometimes go over to Google, and generally it does turn out to have a wider reach. I have a Google id, which has its uses (again, it can have a role in remembering some site access data), and I therefore have so far not signed out. But all that said, on some websites (and it does vary a lot) the Google ad pop-ups can be very aggressive.
We're still on the old GUI,I see. I have signed up to the new set-up.

Ian G
Wales

We are similar in this regard. I have also found that Google has a wider reach, when I need it, I use it.

Looking forward to seeing your first post on the New Forum.

Swarfendor437

Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:22:41 pm

There are files in your /home folder that maintains your cookies list. Some will be in a . file with the name of the browser and once there you open a cookies.sqlite folder. This is true for .waterfox, .mozilla/firefox - other browser cookies might be stored in /home/yourusername/.config/name of browser/ You can edit these files in the text editor of your choice. ;)

IanGraham

Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:40:49 pm

That's useful, Swarfendor, thanks. The thing I 'miss most' about Windows is that with most of the middle run of OS's - ME through XP and Vista - I did feel I understood where most things were, system-wise. Almost two years in with Zorin, I still don't have a mental map at all.

Ian G.

Aravisian

Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:29:33 pm

IanGraham wrote:That's useful, Swarfendor, thanks. The thing I 'miss most' about Windows is that with most of the middle run of OS's - ME through XP and Vista - I did feel I understood where most things were, system-wise. Almost two years in with Zorin, I still don't have a mental map at all.

Ian G.

This is funny to me as I am the complete opposite.
With Windows some things seemed to be in the appropriate place and other things were scattered all across the drive like an explosion in a kite string factory. Many programs seemed to have bits and pieces all over the place in various different folders. And then there's the registry.
On Linux, I find there is a top-down topology with a logical placement of components.