This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Anbox on Zorin Education OS

bcnaz

Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:33:42 am

Will Anbox work on Zorin Education 15.1 ?

Many schools here in the USA are using Android as their operating systems for students.

I have been considering giving my Grandson a laptop with the Zorin Education operating system installed on it.

Please comments and advice will be appreciated.

Thanks, Bill

Aravisian

Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:23:18 am

bcnaz wrote:Will Anbox work on Zorin Education 15.1 ?

Many schools here in the USA are using Android as their operating systems for students.

I have been considering giving my Grandson a laptop with the Zorin Education operating system installed on it.

Please comments and advice will be appreciated.

Thanks, Bill

Yes, Anbox will work on Zorin- I can speak from experience having done it.
However, having Anbox on a machine is not the same as having the Android Operating System. Anbox is a sandbox Android development tool; there is no Play Store and to add an android app to it, you must acquire and install the .apk file for it.
Often, you can just use APK Extractor an on Android device like a smart phone. Install the desired app on the phone, then use the extractor to get the .apk and then transfer that to the computer.

Would really need to know more about your intentions and designs on this idea.
If this is for a grandson that is well-versed in using Android, I wonder if an inexpensive Tablet may serve that need better for normal kids apps and games.
For example, Boom Beach by SuperCell will not work on Anbox since it MUST connect through Google Play. I have tried.
I could get it to install and run, but could not make an account that could connect, rendering it useless for having a Task Force. Many other apps may have that same restriction (Though of course, not all). For an app developer working from their computer and designing and transferring files, it's great. For an average user wanting to emulate Android on their computer, it leaves a lot to be desired.

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:34:39 pm

I wonder what security issues this poses?:

https://www.digitbin.com/install-apps-p ... e-account/

bcnaz

Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:44:31 pm

My Grandson is just 10 years old, and his school is trying to start doing the home schooling because of this Covid thing.
I am still trying to get more information on what are this schools computer requirements.
But it sounds like this will not be a practical add-on for my Grandson then..?

My younger brother lives in another town 120 miles north of me, His children are being taught exclusively on the Google chrome books. ( Yuck ! )

Aravisian

Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:10:12 am

Bcnaz, my sons are using Zorin OS on their machines without trouble. We are also strictly at-home learning. I have been kept very hopping, lately.
But the local school requirements here may be different. These schools also use Google Chromebooks, but I have gotten no indication that Android is required on anything.
They do use a Remind app on android, but have been using that since before Covid and it is pretty small and simple.
Can you ask the school about how they feel about Linux Distributions being used and whether their demands... I mean... requirements can be reasonably met?