This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED]Can't run update manager-says no internet connection

cloggyjohn

Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:54:25 pm

When running the update manager ( Zorin 5.2 ) on my desktop it checks for updates but then says it can't download them as there is no internet connection. This obviously isn't the case as it wouldn't, I presume, be able to check for updates in the first case and I can also access the internet using Chrome/Firefox without problems. I have a triple boot configuration with W7 and Linux Mint 12 and neither of these give problems with the (wired) internet connection. Any ideas anybody ? Thanks in advance.

Deadly Ernest

Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:14:39 pm

G'day,

If swarfendor's answer doesn't help you, check the Repository information in the package manager and see where it's calling to check things and download them. I know that when I install Zorin on a system the first thing I have to do is set up the network connection to have it talking to the Internet properly - I set things like the Gateway and DNS address. Prior to setting that info up the system can call IP addresses without issues but can't hit a URL where it needs a DNS resolution first. This may be a related type of issue with your set up, it's hard to say from this distance, but is one of the sort of issues that can occur. Another type package check issue is where it calls on the info on the CD or the load image only.

Regards,

Ernest

Wolfman

Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:17:55 pm

Hi,

run these 2 commands in a terminal:

sudo apt-get update

then:

sudo apt-get upgrade

Regards Wolfman :D

cloggyjohn

Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:47:31 pm

Thanks Wolfman, that's updated everything, it just remains to be seen what happens when I try using the Update Manager next time ( which, incidentally, I've just run without problems on an old laptop using the wireless connection ).

cloggyjohn

Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:22:44 pm

That seems to have done the trick, update ( on the desktop ) went okay