This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Help Requested

xxx-tgp-xxx

Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:06:13 am

Hey there,

Just installed Zorin OS5 with the following hardware specs:

Asus M4A78T-E Motherboard
AMD 955BE S 3.2GHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 6870
16GB Patriot G5 AMD Edition RAM
WD Green 500GB WD5000AACS-00ZUB0
Razer Diamondback 3G Mouse (USB)
Standard Microsoft Keyboard (PS/2)
Netgear WN311B Wireless NIC

I am having a problem with system lock up. Not long after booting into the OS I will get a strange lock up. Briefly it appears that I have typical usage and functionality but within minutes of the OS loading and assuming normal tasks, my keyboard lights (scroll lock, numlock, and capslock) start flashing and I no longer get any input to the machine. Additionally, I have no USB input either. I can disconnect and reconnect the keyboard and that will reset. However, if I disconnect any USB components the system refuses to recognize the device. No recognition, no power. It looks like a total system lock. The only way to recover is to force a reboot using my case power button. I am certain that it may pertain to one of the two drivers I loaded after install, as that is when the issue began to occur. I loaded my graphics and wireless NIC drivers from the system control panel after install. Is there any fix or work around for this issue?

Wolfman

Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:22:44 pm

Hi,

if after running "dpkg" (as swarf recommend) you still have problems, boot in safe graphics mode and when it fully boots, remove the ATI drivers abnd just stick with the onboard drivers!!.

When you burnt the disk, did you do so at the slowest possible speed, if you didn't you may well have a corrupt disk!!.

Regards Wolfman :D