This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Installing cisco packet tracer5.3.3

kinu

Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:21:39 am

Despite all efforts in reading and trying, I have failed installing cisco packet tracer5.3.3 on to my zorin.I don't have any other versions installed.
Could anyone help me fulfill my struggles? i have downloaded it from Cisco website in tar.gz

Wolfman

Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:29:18 am

Hi kinu,

go here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?h8ly45l7bnmmq13

after download, right click on the file and make sure that the file is executable in the permissions tab, this should be easy to install as it is a deb based package!.

Regards Wolfman :D

kinu

Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:54:10 pm

thanks Wolfman. any syntax? can you give the full procedure?

Wolfman

Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:22:14 pm

Hi,

another option is to install and use "gdebi" which is a deb package installer, basically download your (deb) package and right click on it, go to open with and select gdebi!!.

Assuming that a particualr package is in the repository, you can also use the terminal to install a package. See an example command below:

sudo apt-get install gdebi

After putting the command into the terminal; it will ask you for your password and also should install any dependencies that may be required. If you practice with the example, it will also install "gdebi" for you!!

Here is a link about the Synaptic package manager:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticHowto

kinu

Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:13:18 pm

What a big mountain for me. I have to give it a try as well. So far no success

Thanks wolfman

Wolfman

Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:29:54 pm

Hi,
as swarfendor has pointed out; the package is not a deb package as I first thought, it is a "bin" file, right click on the file and then permissions, then make file executable, close the window then click on the file with a double click and then "run", it should install the package!!.