This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Problem With Graphics and Missing The Menu Bar

marti1rj

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:12:34 pm

2nd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM (2.0 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 2.9 GHz
8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm) -16GB Max
750GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
Blu-ray player w/ SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
1GB Radeon(TM) HD 6490M GDDR5 switchable Graphics [HDMI, VGA]
HP TrueVision HD Webcam with Integrated Digital Microphone and HP SimplePass Fingerprint Reader

I've installed zorin os 5 just a couple days ago and i the graphics card has not been working at all i don't think. The compiz won't work at all. Seems it might be the switchable graphics from what i've read. My menu bar was working at first now it doesn't unless i boot Zorin recovery with the low graphics option. I'm decent with computers but I'm new with Linux.
I appreciate any help.

Wolfman

Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:18:27 pm

Hi,

restart in recovery mode and run "dpkg", let us know if it helps!!.

Regards Wolfman

madvinegar

Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:34:59 pm

Also please advise if you have updated your system and tried to enable the recomended graphics driver from the "additional drivers".

marti1rj

Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:37:45 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

restart in recovery mode and run "dpkg", let us know if it helps!!.

Regards Wolfman

Thanks but where do I do this? Do I just type this into the terminal?

madvinegar

Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:42:23 pm

You must reboot and as soon as the PC opens and the Grub menu comes up, choose the 2nd option (which says "recovery mode").

Another list will come up, and from it chose "dpkg".

marti1rj

Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:56:19 pm

madvinegar wrote:Also please advise if you have updated your system and tried to enable the recomended graphics driver from the "additional drivers".

You say updating my system, you mean update the Zorin O.S.? I have Zorin os 5. Does the Zorin os 5.2 that you have, have that option in the additional drivers?

marti1rj

Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:57:47 pm

madvinegar wrote:You must reboot and as soon as the PC opens and the Grub menu comes up, choose the 2nd option (which says "recovery mode").

Another list will come up, and from it chose "dpkg".

Ok thank you. I'll try that when I get home today. (typing this from iPad)

Btw Zorin boots fine with the menu bar working in the low graphics mode found under recovery mode.

madvinegar

Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:58:33 pm

marti1rj wrote:You say updating my system, you mean update the Zorin O.S.? I have Zorin os 5. Does the Zorin os 5.2 that you have, have that option in the additional drivers?

No, I mean this viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1617