This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Sound from both Headphones and Speakers

Technobabble

Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:38:04 am

Hi Zorin Team,

I just purchased a brand new HP Pavillion dv7-6c66nr laptop. After securing Windows, I installed Zorin along side it. Everything works. The only issue I'm encountering is that sound comes from both the headphones and the speakers when the headphones are plugged in. Not that it's really relevant, but this doesn't happen in Windows 7. I checked just to make sure it wasn't a hardware issue. I've googled the hell out of this topic and I've come to the conclusion that I need to check the Headphone Jack Sense in alsamixer or gnome-alsamixer. Unfortunately, either I'm too stupid to find this option to check or it isn't anywhere in alsamixer or gnome-alsamixer. I have no idea how to troubleshoot this issue, except to google it. I've never had sound issues before with ubuntu or Zorin. I believe this is an ubuntu issue common to 11.04 and 11.10, and possibly all previous versions. At least, that's the idea I get from google results. Has anyone else encountered this issue on an HP laptop? Is there any information I can provide, so that someone more linux intelligent than myself can help me? Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.

Technobabble

Technobabble

Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:50:06 am

In continuing to google the issue. :D I was directed to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/AlsaInfo, from which I was able to put together an alsa info report. That report can be read here:
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=30dc99527a27bdfc0491fca5e122c90df1effad4. I have no idea if that will actually be helpful or not, but there it is.

Thanks!

Technobabble

Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:19:00 am

So, in one of the other posts on Zorin's forums, someone wrote that as soon as you post an issue here, you'll find the solution yourself. And in keeping with that trend, this issue is solved. The solution, while not intuitive, is stupid simple. I clicked on the volume icon in the panel. Selected Sound Preferences. Clicked the Output tab. I changed the connector to Analog Headphones. Now when I plug in my headphones and crank the Octane channel on Sirius, nobody else hears it. And impressively, when I unplug my headphones hard rock screams through my laptop speakers. Isn't technology great? ;) Thanks!

madvinegar

Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:15:36 am

Glad you found the solution!

My first suggestion was going to be to mess arround with the sound preferences!