This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Losing Broadcom STA Wireless drivers at reboot

4sugar44

Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:08:26 am

I have installed the Broadcom STA Wireless driver (under Additional Drivers) to drive my wireless card, and it works fine until I reboot, at which point the computer tells me that the driver is installed but not active. Once I remove and activate it it will work again, but this is a cumbersome process. I have tried using the Linux driver package from Broadcom, but that doesn't want to install properly. Any suggestions?

madvinegar

Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:08:27 am

To check if your driver does not load at start-up, reboot and when you get into your desktop (and the STA driver is not working), open a terminal, log-in as root, and write:

Code:
modprobe b43

If your wireless will start operating it means that it just needs to be loaded at start-up.
Then do the following:

Open again terminal and write

Code:
gksudo nautilus

The nautilus will open (with admin rights) and then navigate to /etc/modules and add the line

Code:
b43

Exit from terminal, reboot, and hopefully from now on the b43 driver will be loaded at startup automatically.

4sugar44

Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:22:00 pm

I get an error saying 'operation not permitted' when I try to use the modprobe command. I have administrative permissions associated with my username, so I am not sure why that is. Also, i don't have a folder called etc/modules. I did notice that the b43 driver was blacklisted in etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-bcm43.conf and removed the line of code that said blacklist b43. After reboot nothing has changed-driver reports that it is installed but not currently in use.

madvinegar

Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:48:55 pm

In order to get root "power" in terminal you must do the following:

open a terminal and write
Code:
su

It will ask for password.
If your password is not accepted you must create one as follows:

Open a terminal and write:

Code:
sudo passwd

You will be asked for your standard user password. Write it.
Then you will be asked to give a unix password. Think of one and write it.
Then you will be asked to re-write the unix password. Do it.
And you are done.

Next time you will open the terminal and write
Code:
su

give your unix password and you will be logged as "root". You will see that the start sentence of the terminal will be something like root@root:-$

So, after you log in as root, write in terminal
Code:
modprobe b43

P.S. Are you sure you dont have an /etc/modules file....??? It is not a folder. It's a file that you open with text editor. Please have another look and if necessary amend nautilus to view the hidden files.

4sugar44

Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:01:46 am

I get this error message when I attempt to launch Nautilus:

------------

GLib-GIO:ERROR:/build/buildd/glib2.0-2.28.6/./gio/gdbusconnection.c:2279:initable_init: assertion failed: (connection->initialization_error == NULL)
Aborted

-------------

Also, this is what my etc/modules file looks like:

----------

# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
# at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.

lp
lp
lp
lp
lp

----------
it appears to me that I need to fix the Nautilus problem first and then make the proper changes to the modules file. Does that sound correct? If so, what do I do with the modules file once I have Nautilus working again? I have no idea what the Nautilus error message means, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

madvinegar

Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:43:34 am

Ok lets take everything from the beginning.

First of all reboot, from the grub menu select the recovery mode, and from the recovery mode select dpkg and run it. It is advisable to have internet connection so try to get internet from an ethernet cable. This will probably fox any broken packages, if any.

Secondly, open a terminal and write
Code:
lspci

just to check what your card is.

Thirdly, before messing with your modules file we need to make sure that when you login as root in terminal and you write
Code:
modprobe b43
, your wifi connection is actually enabled and established. So test that and let me know. I have explained above how to log in as root in terminal.

Wolfman

Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:47:03 am

4sugar44 wrote:I get this error message when I attempt to launch Nautilus:

------------

GLib-GIO:ERROR:/build/buildd/glib2.0-2.28.6/./gio/gdbusconnection.c:2279:initable_init: assertion failed: (connection->initialization_error == NULL)
Aborted

-------------

Also, this is what my etc/modules file looks like:

----------

# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
# at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.

lp
lp
lp
lp
lp

----------
it appears to me that I need to fix the Nautilus problem first and then make the proper changes to the modules file. Does that sound correct? If so, what do I do with the modules file once I have Nautilus working again? I have no idea what the Nautilus error message means, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi,

try re-installing nautilus, open Synaptic and type in search "nautilus" and then mark it for re-installation, MV has already suggested running "dpkg".

Regards Wolfman :D