This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Problems with LibreOffice, panel and applications

abielsneyder

Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:05:32 pm

I have the next problems:
1. I don't know the reason why when I am using LibreOffice, when I go to the option to preview the document (The icone beside the print option), the program closes my document and crashes all what I am doing. I'm surprised with it because I had never experienced this issue with LO.
2. Sometimes when I switch on the laptop, as soon as the pc shows me the wallpaper, the system tells me that the notification panel has crashed and it offers me the option to delete it. It is also strange for me.
3. My third problem is that I have some applications that never run. I click on them on the main menu but they never start to work.

Just to tell in advance. Don't send me to check the three options to deal with broken packages because I've already tried that post and nothing changed. I'm facing the same problems. I'm a bit annoyed because I like Zorin, but it has been playing off since I've installed it. I've work with Ubuntu and Fedora and never had these problems.

Thanks for your help!
God bless you.

Deadly Ernest

Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:36:48 am

G'day,

regarding problem 1 - Libre Office

I've had this problem with Libre Office on machines with Windows where a printer was NOT installed and printer setting designated within the system or Libre Office system. When Libre Office went to get the settings it had a major issue as they didn't exist. This caused the software to lock and crash. I've also seen the issue occur on a Linux machine where CUPS was NOT installed or running.

I'd check if you have CUPS installed and running, if not do so and see if that fixes the issue. If still an issue install a printer and see how that goes. If they don't help, I'm lost.

Regards,

Ernest

Wolfman

Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:54:06 am

Hi,

take a look in Synaptic, type in search "libreoffice" and check that that package is installed, it might be that just the base packages are installed and not the main package!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

abielsneyder

Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:46:41 pm

Thank you guys for your help and suggestions, however, I couldn't solve the problems with the tips you gave me. I decided to reinstall the system again but, the installation contained problems again. I checked the Live Cd and the system is working properly on the CD, so, I couldn't understand the reason why my installation wasn't good. I reinstalled the system twice during this afternoon and it was wasting time. I followed many tutorials, "How to's" and suggestions but I had to leave Zorin due to my problems with LibreOffice, synaptic (it didn't work) and some important aplications for me which didn't run. (Eqonomize is just one example). I'm installing again Ubuntu since Zorin didn't work fine on my laptop. It is a pity since I like the distro very much. Maybe within some time I may try it again with a new Live CD. For now, I would like to know how I can delete my account from this forum. As I won't be using Zorin, I would like to get rid of this account, although my posts could remain on the forum. I know, it can be a source of information.

I hope an answer soon. ;)

abielsneyder

Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:39:57 pm

Hi swarfendor437!

Thank you for taking your time to answer me. :)
Well, I was installing the 5.2 version 32 bit. My laptop is a new Samsung laptop. It has worked well with Fedora and Ubuntu. I was happy with Zorin but, as I mentioned, I had too many problems with many issues so, I decided to reinstall Ubuntu to avoid those problems. Thanks for your suggestions and advice. It was helpful. I liked Zorin and I will recommend it to other people. The important is that I love Linux and I won't go out from this world. :D :D :D :D

As for the other question regarding my account, well, maybe I will use it to ask some things since Zorin is based in Ubuntu and I'm using Ubuntu. :) So, I think I'll stay in the forum. :)

God bless you!