This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Need some advice -- trying to setup dual boot

IzayoiAki

Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:05:57 pm

I need some quick advice. I have installed Zorin OS (successfully) to fill the whole disk. I now want to setup dual boot with Zorin. My current disk layout consists of my linux ext taking up most of the space of the disk (starting from the left), and the swap partition taking up the remainder (up to the right)

I tried resizing the ext partition, reducing it by 30GB, then shifting my linux swap partition up against it, then using the gap to install Windows. That gave me a working Windows installation, but when I then reinstalled grub to restore my option to boot into Zorin, Windows refused to boot saying there was a corrupt file.

So, two questions:

1. What did I do wrong here?
2. Should I install Windows somewhere else in the drive? Before the Zorin partition? After it? Between the partition and the swap?

I can experiment because I've Clonezilla'ed my drive so I have a rollback, but I want to minimise any wasted time where possible because moving data around partitions will take ages.

Wolfman

Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:39:17 pm

Hi,

without looking over your shoulder; you could have done any number of things wrong.

Here are a couple of links for you:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1616

Regards Wolfman :D

IzayoiAki

Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:50:54 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

without looking over your shoulder; you could have done any number of things wrong.

Here are a couple of links for you:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1616

Regards Wolfman :D

I found out the problem -- it was where I had installed Windows. Putting the install at the START of the drive instead of anywhere else seemed to work. Just spent 6 hours updating Windows. God I hate that OS, but some of the progs I use don't run under WINE either at all, or well enough to use.... *sigh*

IzayoiAki

Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:18:33 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:HI IzayoiAki, Wolfman has already pointed you in the right direction. You might not like to hear it but basically, backup any data, format the drive and install Windows 7 first - it just has to be that way I'm afraid! Windows needs to be as close as possible to the MBR as possible. I did post elsewhere that it is possible to install a 'chainloader' without GRUB and the links to that elsewhere on here.

Footnote: You posted before I got the chance to!

Didn't have to format,just resize, install Windows, then reinstall grub.