This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

New product purchase and additional gpu drivers

surfboy21

Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:50:54 pm

I would like to say hi to everydoby here!
I'm a new lucky user of this OS.
To moderator / I run you OS since the last few days and I'm very happy. MY question is, I can't find additional graphic card drivers for this OS.
I want to buy one of your premium products but do you have an extra gpu drivers included? The reason I'm asking is because nearly all videos and want to play from my home library or when I simply browse youtube are jamming big times even when I watch on small resolution. I have sony vaio vgn-a117s with ati mobility radeon 9200. I didn't have this problem by running XP.
I can take multimedia version now but I'll wait for your answer first.
Last question is I've tried to install windows software through playonlinux and I couldn't run anything, I have tried skype ( as we know linux version has't been update and having issues ), I have tried ammy admin for remote desktop ( I'm windows user but the older person is using vaio so I want to have control when something goes wrong ). Software automatically chooses C drive and program files, I think it need to be changed by choosing different track for it. Thanks for any help / Matt

madvinegar

Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:00:17 pm

Hello and welcome!
- As regards your graphics card drivers I would suggest that you fully update the packages of your system and then check at "additional drivers" to see if there is a driver recomended which you can enable. (system>administration>additional drivers). Linux has good support for nvdia and Ati drivers. I have personally installed zorin in a laptop with Ati mobility Radeon HD 5450, and after updating the system, the graphics card driver was updated and the maximum resolution of the screen was the same as when I was using win7.

Please see here a tutorial on how to update your system (courtesy of wolfman): viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1617

- As regards Skype, I am using for so long the skype edition that comes with the repositories and I never had any problem.

- For remote desktop I have used "teamviewer" which is also available for linux (http://www.teamviewer.com/).