This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Evolution - Yahoo accounts will not receive

alpha1

Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:39:04 pm

Previously experienced issues with evolution on Ubuntu 11.10
Now moved to Zorin 5.2 evolution works to an extent on some accounts but with yahoo seems to be an issue
I can now send but not receive from Yahoo, Any ideas?
I have reported this as bug but since last week it has started to send email but yahoo will not receive.

Yahoo settings as follows: -
(R) pop.mail.yahoo.com | Log In | SSL |
(S) smtp.mail.yahoo.com | Plain | SSL |

O/S Zorin -os 5.2 (Ubuntu)
Release 11.04
Ubuntu Software centre 4.0.7

madvinegar

Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:12:08 pm

Hello.

If we take for granted that yahoo is not to blame, could you please check that you are using the following servers and ports (please note that the servers are different if we are talking about yahoo-plus).

Yahoo! Mail Settings

Code:
Yahoo Mail offers standard POP3 access for receiving emails incoming through your Yahoo mailbox, by using your favorite email client software. To setup your email client for working with your Yahoo account, you need to select the POP3 protocol and use the following mail server settings:
Yahoo Incoming Mail Server (POP3) - pop.mail.yahoo.com (SSL enabled, port 465)
Yahoo Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) - smtp.mail.yahoo.com (SSL enabled, port 995)

POP Yahoo! Mail Plus email server settings
Yahoo Plus Incoming Mail Server (POP3) - plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com (SSL enabled, port 995)
Yahoo Plus Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) - plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com (SSL enabled, port 465, use authentication)

I know that swarf will not be pleased :D but especially for web based e-mail accounts (such as hotmail, yahoo etc) I would propose to you to use "thunderbird".

Wolfman

Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:49:52 am

Hi,

try using the Yahoo country code like:

pop.mail.yahoo.de

and

smtp.mail.yahoo.de

as I tried the .com addresses but found that they should be country specific. (and work by the way!!)

Regards Wolfman :D

alpha1

Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:37:56 pm

madvinegar wrote:Hello.

If we take for granted that yahoo is not to blame, could you please check that you are using the following servers and ports (please note that the servers are different if we are talking about yahoo-plus).

Yahoo! Mail Settings

Code:
Yahoo Mail offers standard POP3 access for receiving emails incoming through your Yahoo mailbox, by using your favorite email client software. To setup your email client for working with your Yahoo account, you need to select the POP3 protocol and use the following mail server settings:

Yahoo Plus Incoming Mail Server (POP3) - plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com (SSL enabled, port 995)
Yahoo Plus Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) - plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com (SSL enabled, port 465, use authentication)

I know that swarf will not be pleased :D but especially for web based e-mail accounts (such as hotmail, yahoo etc) I would propose to you to use "thunderbird".

Hi madvinegar
Thanks for your reply
Sorry but have been slow in responding as my BB has been poor connecting, Just had the fault fixed - not sure if that had anything to do with it.
But this was an no go.
Looked at Thunderbird but was not keen on look and feel. sorry.
Thanks.

alpha1

Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:43:17 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

try using the Yahoo country code like:

pop.mail.yahoo.de

and

smtp.mail.yahoo.de

as I tried the .com addresses but found that they should be country specific. (and work by the way!!)

Thanks Wolfman that worked, got all my mail.
Many Thanks

alpha1

Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:16:36 pm

madvinegar wrote:Hello.

Yahoo! Mail Settings

Code:

I had notice that ports are not available in Evolution on Zorin os5.2, I assume this is the new standard or is my install screw up here? some how.

madvinegar

Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:20:54 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:If people are happy to use mail clients that have indirectly been sponsored from an organisation that gets substantial money from x-rated links that is up to them - not for me! :D

Point taken. :mrgreen: But what can I do when thunderbird is the only mail client that gets my (specific) work done... :oops:

Wolfman

Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:50:54 am

Quote from alpha1: I had notice that ports are not available in Evolution on Zorin os5.2, I assume this is the new standard or is my install screw up here? some how."

Hi alpha1,

go here:

http://projects.gnome.org/evolution/

it is the home of the mail project and may hold some answers for you!!.

The Yahoo mail settings did work for you then :D :D

alpha1

Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:20:44 pm

Wolfman wrote:Quote from alpha1: I had notice that ports are not available in Evolution on Zorin os5.2, I assume this is the new standard or is my install screw up here? some how."

Hi alpha1,

go here:

http://projects.gnome.org/evolution/

it is the home of the mail project and may hold some answers for you!!.

The Yahoo mail settings did work for you then :D :D

:SOLVED:
Many Thanks Once Again I can now send and receive my email via Yahoo.

alpha1

Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:23:30 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:
madvinegar wrote:
swarfendor437 wrote:If people are happy to use mail clients that have indirectly been sponsored from an organisation that gets substantial money from x-rated links that is up to them - not for me! :D

Point taken. :mrgreen: But what can I do when thunderbird is the only mail client that gets my (specific) work done... :oops:

You could always give this a try?

Claws Mail.png

Thanks fo the idea swarfendor437 i am most grateful
It may well be worth looking into or even reviewing.