This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Recording audio on an iMac

rmcellig

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:36:40 pm

Hardware involved:

Intel iMac 24” running Zorin OS 5 booted from the live CD
Dell desktop (11 years old)
Aiwa portable radio circa 1980

When I am booted into my Mac OS (currently Lion), recording from the radio works well. Also works well on the Dell desktop. I have a cable running from the radio into my iMac and into the Dell desktop via a Y connector.

When I boot into Zorin from the live CD or even when I was dual booting from Linux and my Mac OS, The Dell desktop was still able to record from the radio. No such luck from the iMac. Is there something in the iMac that is not compatible with Linux (audio drivers etc...)? Do I have to reset the Sound settings?

What information should I post to this thread that will help me out?

Wolfman

Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:11:53 am

Hi,

not quite sure if this will help but you can try it!!.

Install the following packages:

gstreamer (all of them)
libsox-fmt-all
paman

It may be a problem with your audio settings and once you have installed paman (Pulse Audio Manager) you can try and mess about with the various settings using paman and not the Ubuntu sound manager!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

rmcellig

Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:31:06 am

Thanks! I will try that out! I would love to Install Linux on my iMac as my main OS.

Wolfman

Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:37:44 am

Forgot to add:

libxine-plugins-all
w32 codecs and nonfree codecs (w32 codecs is only for 32 Bit systems but it won't hurt if you install it!!)

Regards Wolfman :D

rmcellig

Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:16:24 am

Thanks again! I am really hoping I can get this to work because it s the main thing I need to do. After trying out various Linux distros on my other older computers, I have come to appreciate the beauty and freedom of Linux that I just don't get running Mac OS X. I have been a longtime dedicated Mac user since 1988 but am now finding that I spend about 90% of my computer time in Linux and love it!