This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

"Sorry, the program 'nautilus' closed unexpectedly"

musiuuu

Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:09:28 am

Hello.

I'm trying to find out a bit about Linux and have been booting the Zorin 5.2 64-bit OS from DVD on my laptop and on my desktop PC, but some features don't seem to work on the desktop.

For example, on the desktop PC, there's no Welcome sound when Zorin is about to display the desktop, and a few seconds after the desktop opens, there is a pop-up that says "Sorry, the program 'nautilus' closed unexpectedly"; when I click on "Report Problem" I get another pop-up that says "The problem cannot be reported: This is not a genuine Ubuntu package". After most everything loads up, I've got to click on the speaker in the System tray to "Unmute" Banshee (Speakers) to be able to hear any sound.

Also, when I close any window, I don't see the visual effects of it collapsing into smaller fluttering pages like it does on the laptop.

Desktop:
White box with AMD Phenom X4 9550 2.20GHz quad-core processor
Motherboard is ASUS M3N78 Pro
Chipset is NVIDIA GeForce 8300
Total memory size is 8GB DDR2-SDRAM.

Laptop:
Toshiba Satellite A215 with an AMD Turion64 X2 TL-58 dual core processor, with CPU HFM (Max) at 1900 MHz;
Motherboard is ATI SB600
Chipset is ATI M690E (RS690M) + SB600
Graphics is ATI MOBILITY RADEON X1200 (RS690M) with 128MB GPU memory and 32-bit DDR2-SDRAM.
Total memory size is 2048 MB DDR2-SDRAM

I just put info that I think might be relevant, but I'll try to find more if needed; in short, I'm booting from the same Zorin DVD on the laptop and on the desktop PC, and it seems to be working well on both, but OS behavior on laptop is different/better than on desktop PC. I'd really appreciate any insight to this problem. Thanks.

Wolfman

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:20:06 am

Hi,

you are getting those messages because the updates are not available on a live CD, once you install and do the updates, they will be gone!!.

If the live CD is running; you should have no problem installing the system on your PC (s).

Regards Wolfman :D