This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Trying to burn an iso, and failing

IzayoiAki

Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:20:13 pm

I'm trying to burn an ISO (my own one, not the Zorin iso), but I just can't get it to burn on my DVD+R. I can burn it on a DVD+RW without problem.

I try using Brasero. The whole process continues to the end and then it fails on the checksum building of the disk.

I try using K3B, and verification fails.

I try using Wodim, and I get this:

Code:
wodim: No write mode specified.
wodim: Assuming -tao mode.
wodim: Future versions of wodim may have different drive dependent defaults.
wodim: Operation not permitted. Warning: Cannot raise RLIMIT_MEMLOCK limits.
Device was not specified. Trying to find an appropriate drive...
Looking for a DVD-R drive to store 3182.69 MiB...
Using /dev/cdrom of unknown capabilities
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 5
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : '_NEC    '
Identification : 'DVD+RW ND-1100A '
Revision       : '10FD'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-ROM.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc DVD-R(W) driver (mmc_mdvd).
Driver flags   : SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: SAO
Speed set to 2822 KB/s
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed   2.0 in real unknown mode for single session.
Last chance to quit, starting real write in    0 seconds. Operation starts.
Errno: 5 (Input/output error), reserve track scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB:  53 00 00 00 00 00 18 DD 62 00
Sense Bytes: 70 00 03 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 73 03 00 00
Sense Key: 0x3 Medium Error, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x73 Qual 0x03 (power calibration area error) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 3.807s timeout 40s
wodim: Cannot open new session.

I try using growisofs, and I get this:

Code:
Executing 'builtin_dd if=/home/momoko/iso.iso of=/dev/sr0 obs=32k seek=0'
:-? Failed to change write speed: 2770->3324
/dev/sr0: "Current Write Speed" is 2.5x1352KBps.
          0/3337293824 ( 0.0%) @0x, remaining ??:?? RBU 100.0% UBU   0.0%
:-[ WRITE@LBA=0h failed with SK=3h/POWER CALIBRATION AREA ERROR]: Input/output error
:-( write failed: Input/output error

What does this mean? I don't think it's the drive, since I can burn a DVD+RW.

Admin-Amir

Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:55:43 pm

Hello IzayoiAki.

As far that I check the system I see alot of packages that missing on the support of the system.
few of them on the Burn issues.
you will find all the packages from the screen shots under search in synaptic:

ISO
Burn

Admin-Amir

Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:57:34 pm

Admin-Amir

Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:00:40 pm

All you need to do is install all the packages that you see marked there.
Hope that will solve the Burn issues for you.

All the best and good luck.

IzayoiAki

Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:38:18 pm

So, I did this:

Code:
sudo apt-get install isomaster isomd5sum daa2iso python-pyisomd5sum genisoimage cdi2iso pdi2iso mdf2iso b5i2iso libmono-i18n-west2.0-cil uif2iso libmono-corlib2.0-cil ccd2iso libfaad2 libmp4v2-0 libmp4v2-0 faad gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mp3 libjbig2dec0 growisofs nrg2iso mp3burn brasero libbrasero-media1 brasero-common brasero-cdrkit dvd+rw-tools mp3cd banshee banshee-extension-soundmenu banshee-extension-ubuntuonemusicstore bombono-dvd bombono-dvd-data gvfs-backends cdrdao k3b libk3b6 k3b-data libk3b6-extracodecs mp3roaster

and let it install all the stuff it needed to. I then tried to re-burn my image using growisofs and the same error.

Admin-Amir

Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:44:14 pm

OK,

I see where the issue here.
First you need to restart your machine After the install process.
Then try to Burn with brasero on x4 - change in the tab option the speed.

IzayoiAki

Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:32:11 pm

Well, it did burn. Or at least, it appeared to. But when I put the disc back in again afterwards, it showed up as a Blank Disc. -_-

Admin-Amir

Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:42:33 pm

IzayoiAki.

well I can think about 2 options here with your DVD.

1 - the DVD lost focus in one of the eyes (as you know there are 3 of them) - and that effects the write part.
2 - The DVD+ are not good for your DVD burner.

From my point of view if you have one more machine there try to burn the ISO and see if that works for you,
Then you know that your DVD burner is done.
the other option is to use the DVD+RW.

I use just that kind off with all the systems that I Build.
Please update on this issue.
thank you.

IzayoiAki

Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:16:06 am

I'm trying some of the media in another linux box. If that fails, I'm going to try under Windows and see if that works. If it does, then it has to be a problem with the drivers is using to write to the media.

Will let you know how it goes.

Auldyin

Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:17:11 am

Hi IzayoiAki
Just read your post, Brasero doesn't work on DVD+ only DVD- have you read this viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1033 ?. I use GnomeBaker for for DVD+ works good for me.

Cheers Auldyin
:| :| :| :| :| :| :| :|

IzayoiAki

Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:39:04 am

Auldyin wrote:Hi IzayoiAki
Just read your post, Brasero doesn't work on DVD+ only DVD- have you read this viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1033 ?. I use GnomeBaker for for DVD+ works good for me.

Cheers Auldyin
:| :| :| :| :| :| :| :|

My primary burn method is K3b, not Brasero. I used it to test whether it was my setup. I like to use the shell too, so I like to use wodim and growisofs. Last test is to try the burn on Windows.

Admin-Amir

Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:25:31 am

Here is TIP For MS users that need open source software for free . :idea: ;)

http://www.ttcsweb.org/osswin-cd/

IzayoiAki

Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:32:04 am

I used Burn4Free for Windows. It burned but hung on the Finalising Track step. I guess this points to the media. Since I can burn DVD+RW successfully, in both Zorin and Windows, but not this DVD+R media.

Wolfman

Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:02:57 pm

Hi,

if you have access to another PC; try burning the same ISO file that you have and see if it works, if it does, you know that the problem lies with your burner drive!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

IzayoiAki

Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:23:04 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

if you have access to another PC; try burning the same ISO file that you have and see if it works, if it does, you know that the problem lies with your burner drive!!.

I did try that. It is running Ubuntu (instead of Zorin), and that one actually burns, but the resulting disc registers as blank on both machines (even though there's actually something on there.)

IzayoiAki

Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:00:40 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:Was the .iso containing Windows type files or Linux or mixture? Also you said you were trying to burn your own iso - Remaster? I know that K3b has option to cover both formats of files when burning but you may need to truncate some files if too long a filename.

They are mainly Windows files, but there are only two directories, and no subdirectories below that, so there shouldn't be any filenames too long.

Wolfman

Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:41:33 am

Are you cloning the drive????.

IzayoiAki

Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:48:57 am

Wolfman wrote:Are you cloning the drive????.

Cloning? No, trying to burn a standard data disc. Using Burn4Free in Windows, I even tried bypassing that by building the compilation from scratch all over again.

Wolfman

Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:34:39 am

Hi,

is the data you are trying to copy/burn "Password" protected??. Have you tried downloading a fresh ISO file from another mirror??.

IzayoiAki

Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:02:47 am

is the data you are trying to copy/burn "Password" protected??. Have you tried downloading a fresh ISO file from another mirror??.

No, this ISO I created using mkisoimage. And in Windows, I didn't use an ISO, I created the compilation from scratch and burned it straight (no ISO image created)

Wolfman

Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:13:01 am

Hi,

sounds just like cloning to me, you cannot install it unless you are using some sort of clone software I would think. If you want to create an ISO data disk, the process is completely different. As I am not looking over your shoulder, it is hard to ascertain what you are doing exactly.

Question:

Are you trying to completely clone your hard drive???, yes or no!1

Are you wishing to create an image of Linux on a new CD/DVD??.

IzayoiAki

Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:19:46 am

sounds just like cloning to me, you cannot install it unless you are using some sort of clone software I would think. If you want to create an ISO data disk, the process is completely different. As I am not looking over your shoulder, it is hard to ascertain what you are doing exactly.

Question:

Are you trying to completely clone your hard drive???, yes or no!1

Are you wishing to create an image of Linux on a new CD/DVD??..

Okay. I'll start from the beginning.

On my desktop, I have two directories. Each containing another ISO and some setup programs (Windows based)

I want to burn those two directories onto a DVD.

I'm not cloning my entire hard drive. And I'm building the ISO image, not downloading it from the net. Brasero, K3B and Burn4Free seem unable to burn the image. But it does seem to burn successfully when I burn it to a DVD+RW instead.

Does that make things a bit clearer? :P

Wolfman

Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:23:57 am

Hi,

okay, a lot clearer now, I can only only suggest you go here:

http://www.imgburn.com/

There will most likely more info there than I can give you, take a look around their forum for example, you might find answers that way!!.

Sorry I cannot be of more help!!. Maybe now you have explained yourself more clearly, one of the others in this forum can help you!!.

IzayoiAki

Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:56:41 am

That's a Windows-based program, right? I'll give it a go on my dual boot and see if it fares any better.

IzayoiAki

Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:30:29 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:As I read what you are trying to do you are trying to 'archive' some .iso's in the two directories rather than create 'active' DVD's - I am sure I read an option within imgburn whether you want to archive these. Also use K3b's File option rather than the bog standard gui and select 'New Data Project' and drag and drop the directories into the bottom screen of k3b - I take it your burner supports the version of DVD you are trying to burn to?

It should do, I've burned isos and DVD's before in exactly the same way I'm doing now...

IzayoiAki

Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:45:37 am

Alright, here's what I've tried

Burn media using DVD+R in Brasero under Zorin
Burn media using DVD+R in K3B under Zorin
Burn media using DVD+R using growisofs under Zorin (using ISO created using K3B)
Burn media using DVD+R using wodim under Zorin (using ISO created using K3B)
Burn media using DVD+R using Brasero under Ubuntu (on different machine)
Burn media using DVD+R using Brasero under Ubuntu (on different machine) -- different media brand (Sony instead of HP)
Burn media using DVD+R using Burn4Free under Windows
Burn media using DVD+R using imgburn under Windows

Some failed outright, some burned but then failed verification or could not be read afterwards.
I think I have exhausted all possibilities, so I'm going to buy some new media and see if it is media related.

Wolfman

Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:08:52 am

Hi,

try it with DVD+RW but make sure your burner supports that type of disk first before you buy any disks!!.

You can also try re-writeable disks which would save you money, I use a number and you can over-write them countless times depending on the quality!!.

IzayoiAki

Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:50:52 am

try it with DVD+RW but make sure your burner supports that type of disk first before you buy any disks!!.

You can also try re-writeable disks which would save you money, I use a number and you can over-write them countless times depending on the quality!!.

That's the strange thing -- I have tried that and whether I burn an ISO or direct, it seems to work fine (and verify)

Oh, and I did burn at the lowest supported speed (2.4x)

Wolfman

Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:01:35 am

Hi IzayoiAki,

all I can say is; it sounds like its time for a new burner :(

IzayoiAki

Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:44:28 am

New burner? Can't be, I can burn a DVD+RW after all, so it must be working. I'll try some new branded media just to be sure.

Auldyin

Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:54:45 am

Hi
OK so you'v tried everything using DVD+ why not try some DVD- :?:

Cheers Auldyin

:D :D :D :D :D :D

IzayoiAki

Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:01:14 am

Auldyin wrote:Hi

Cheers Auldyin

Because my drive (both of them, including the one on my desktop) is a DVD+ drive, not DVD-.

Auldyin

Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:11:39 am

Hi Again

Very surprised at that thought most drives did both :?:

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

IzayoiAki

Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:25:54 am

IzayoiAki wrote:
Auldyin wrote:Hi

Cheers Auldyin

Because my drive (both of them, including the one on my desktop) is a DVD+ drive, not DVD-.

DVD- drives do not burn DVD+ disks, I'm pretty sure of that.

IzayoiAki

Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:49:24 pm

Latest update. I asked my sister (who runs Windows 7) to try using my media to burn some of her own media. And it burned. This proves the media is OK.

My laptop throws a power calibration error when burning to this media on both Zorin and Windows XP
My desktop (Ubuntu) throws no error, but does not recognise the format of the disc when trying to read it.

I'm going to try resizing my desktop drive, installing Windows XP on there, then try burning through that. I'm also going to try using an external USB burner and see if that has any different results.

IzayoiAki

Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:21:55 pm

Final update. I've been able to burn my disc now, but I have to use Windows and an external USB CD writer.

Using Ubuntu or Zorin with the external writer results in a successful burn, but being unable to verify.

Using Windows with the same writer and the same data (not compiled into an ISO) results in a successful burn and verify, and being able to read the disc in Linux.

It looks like I need to have to have Windows installed in order to burn WORM media. I wanted to get rid of Windows completely, but looks like I can't now because of this.

This thread can be marked as solved, but it isn't really....

IzayoiAki

Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:46:29 pm

Well, I'm using Sony and HP media. I'd imagine they're decent quality brands.

Funny thing is, I used a WHSmith media and it got further than the Sony or HP.

If the lens being dirty was the issue, then that would not explain why using the same data and media worked on Windows, and not on Linux.

IzayoiAki

Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:52:05 pm

No, I didn't. I never had to in the past. I can try tomorrow. But what difference would using sudo do? If permissions were an issue, then I shouldn't have been able to write to the disc in the first place, right?

IzayoiAki

Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:01:36 pm

Well, I'm the admin of this machine and the only one to use it. But I'll try running k3b and brasero as root and see what happens.

IzayoiAki

Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:04:24 pm

Okay, I've finally been able to burn successfully, but in a very roundabout way....

Running Brasero as root did not allow me to select my writeable drive as a destination, so I had to create an image instead.

Running K3B as root did allow me to select my drive as destination, but writing failed at 99.1% with no reason why (even in the log)

I took the Brasero image and ran it through growisofs, running it as root via sudo and it failed on my laptop, but burned successfully on my desktop (running Ubuntu). Afterwards, my desktop did not recognise the disc, and neither did my laptop. However, my laptop did recognise it after I cleaned the lens.

Next, I did a cmp to make sure the data wrote fine, and it checked out okay.

IzayoiAki

Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:28:04 pm

Yes, thats why I cleaned the lens as well. And ran as root. Ultimately, I did get my media burned.

IzayoiAki

Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:37:35 pm

I vote.... SOLVED. Now where's my $64000?;)

IzayoiAki

Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:52:46 pm

Awww... Spoilsport. :P

IzayoiAki

Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:05:30 pm

Ha ha. Good one.

IzayoiAki

Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:11:48 am

Just a quick update. I bought a lens cleaner (couldn't find my old one), and cleaned all my drives -- my laptop drive and the two drives in my desktop. Lo and behold, successful burn and verify too. No jumps, no power calibration errors. Success. :) Mind you, after cleaning the lens, when I look at the cleaner and see how much dust it took off, it was actually quite scary. Now I'm not surprised my drive has been having problems reading and writing....

Wolfman

Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:44:31 am

Hi,

well it took some time but finally got a good result!! :D Glad to hear everything is okay now, a lesson learned for others to note!!.

madvinegar

Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:19:43 am

Usually the solution is the most obvious one...

IzayoiAki

Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:43:24 am

madvinegar wrote:Usually the solution is the most obvious one...

Agreed :P