This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

RTL8187 wireless adapter got the drivers.

Willyinpr4u

Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:32:22 pm

First, great forum, I've been reading it for quite some time. I was looking or an answer about installing the RTL8187 driver, which by the way I have in a mini disc. I saw one "How to" similar to my problem but I couldn't figure how to use it with my driver.
OK, this computer was build by me, I bought everything separate. At first it had XP, but then I started to experiment wit Linux, and I loved it. Now I bought a brand new HDD and fresh installed Zorin, to connect to the internet I use a cable LAN.
If my mini disc came with the drivers ready for Linux, how can I install it? It even have some instruction on the make driver thing, but I'm lost.
I could post picture of what I have if needed. If anybody can help me out I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Wolfman

Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:49:25 am

Hi,

your chipset should work with the latest kernel:

http://wiki.debian.org/rtl818x

If you have problems, let us know.

Have you tried the live CD and tested it out??.

Regards Wolfman :D

Willyinpr4u

Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:00:50 am

Thanks for your reply, I just got home, gonna try it out now, thanks.
No, haven't tried it with the live cd. I installed the OS from a live cd but never tested it out.

OK, I went to the link posted but all I could do was an upgrade for the architecture i386 in wireless tools. This from the link.
How do I install the driver? Like I posted before, I already have the drivers with the make file and everything, but I have no idea on how to install it. Let me see if I can upload some pictures of what I have. Sorry for bugging so much, but I would like to learn about it. I'm a newbie in Linux.
Screenshot-2.png
Contents of disc drivers
Screenshot-2.png (129.29 KiB)

Willyinpr4u

Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:50:40 am

This are the WPA-Supplicants.

Screenshotdrivers.png
Screenshotdrivers.png (76.51 KiB)

Admin-Amir

Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:31:48 am

Hello Willyinpr4u

please look into this link for the Drivers.
http://packages.debian.org/source/lenny ... re-nonfree

if you look here:
http://packages.debian.org/lenny-backpo ... re-iwlwifi

at the button you will see ALL - click on it - now the next page will take you to the servers to get your drivers.
http://packages.debian.org/lenny-backpo ... i/download - just click on server in the right and save to your HDD.
Then install the package with Gdebi.
and the other package - http://packages.debian.org/lenny-backpo ... re-realtek.

Good luck.

Willyinpr4u

Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:46:53 pm

Firs of all, I want to apologize for taking so long to check the status 0f my post, my uncle was in the hospital and consequently he died. So I was busy with the family.
I was looking at the link to download the drivers, and I click "all" but the system doesn't allow me to make any changes in /etc/apt/sources.list. It says that I'm not the owner. I try to change the permissions but I'm not allow to do even that. In user and groups I change my status to administrator. Here is a screenshot of it. I'm sorry if 'm being a bug. I'm following everything I'm told in the forums, sorry.
Screenshot.png
Permissions
Screenshot.png (219 KiB)

madvinegar

Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:24:02 pm

Open terminal and write

Code:
sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

Give your password. The sources.list file will open and you can make any changes you like.

Wolfman

Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:17:41 am

Hi,

sorry to hear about your uncle passing away:

If you want to change your software sources, do it directly in the control center, select software sources and make your changes directly.

You can also do this via Synaptic > Settings > Repositories

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1694

You can select something like I have in the pics below, these are my prefered settings, use at your own risk!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Screenshotat2012-03-29170515.png
Screenshotat2012-03-29170515.png (52.25 KiB)

Screenshotat2012-03-29170642.png
Screenshotat2012-03-29170642.png (59.26 KiB)

Screenshotat2012-03-29170701.png
Screenshotat2012-03-29170701.png (43.83 KiB)

madvinegar

Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:13:27 am

You can also do it by terminal like follows:

Code:
sudo dpkg -i packagename.deb

Since you use the "sudo" command, you instantly get admin rights.

Willyinpr4u

Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:11:55 pm

WOW! Thanks to every one here helping me out. Just log in to check the status I honestly didn't expect all this help. I will try each suggestion here and post back, so to see if finally I could learn how to install any driver in my Linux, Thanks everybody.

Willyinpr4u

Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:30:43 pm

After trying just about everything here, that is including how to fix the permissions problem, I went over and try each suggestion posted in the forum, again. One thing did woke up my curiosity and that I didn't try since I was focus on installing the drivers. That was using the live disc. It was suggested by one of the member here, thanks Wolfman. What I did was reboot the pc with the live cd and then choose Boot from first disk (HDD) then all of the sudden, I was getting a notification that a wireless was available. Even after taking the live cd out I'm still connected
Now, I am using the wireless as of now, but still one thing, I never learn how to install it, really. AT least if have to help somebody else with a problem just like it, I'll use the live cd for sure, that is until I learn a bit more o Linux, just awesome. Thanks guys or all your help.

Willyinpr4u

Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:56:50 pm

Sure will, Thanks