This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

System tray disappears

tomp01

Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:22:14 pm

I have found that the system tray disappears on a regular basis. I tend to use Windows 7 look and feel and I find that you have to go back to the Zorin Look Changer and set it again followed by a reboot. Does anybody else get this problem?

tomp01

Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:41:28 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:I have had some issues in the past - is it everything on the right of the panel? My advice is that you right click the panel, and select - 'Add to Panel' from the list that appears scroll down until you get to 'Notification Area' - DON'T select 'complete' version as this is the one with issues I believe. Let us know how you get on.

I have an HPLIP printer icon in the system tray and that remains but it appears twice. Everything else disappears.

It hasn't happened again but I will try out your recommendation the next time it occurs.

Wolfman

Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:34:09 pm

tomp01

Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:04:53 pm

Wolfman wrote:See also:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1617

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1618

Regards Wolfman :D

Not sure what you are trying to say, I always keep my install up to date by using the commands:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f install

madvinegar

Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:55:31 am

I used to have similar problems with the panel bar in win7 look. Sometimes, the right side of the panel was distorted, or not all of the icons were appearing, or double appeared etc.

One quick solution I found was to create and add on the startup applications a second (or even a third) "gnome-panel" application. So I made the panel bar to load for a second (or even a 3rd time) and this used to do the trick (however not on 100% basis). There were still some times that I got the problem.

As I consider that there is some kind of a bug with the win7 panel bar (but related only to specific graphics cards i.e. in my wife's laptop I never had this problem and she uses the win7 look), the best solution for that would be to change the look to gnome look.
I changed to gnome look and since then I never faced this problem again.

IzayoiAki

Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:52:13 am

I get disappearing panels as well. For me, it tends to be the panel just to the right of the Zorin orb. I sometimes have duplicate panels appearing and overlapping each other.

The quickfix is to restart the gnome-panel process.

Code:
killall gnome-panel

This kills the panels and forces it to restart. This has always worked for me, and I think it should work with all Zorin looks, if there's any similar corruption or bizarre behaviour such as this.

Auldyin

Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:28:37 am

Thanks IzayoiAki

CODE: SELECT ALL
killall gnome-panel

Until now when I was getting faulty panel "usually on next start-up after any updates" I would move panel from the bottom to the side then back to the bottom this always fixed it, but now using your code I have created a desktop short-cut and its fixed with a double click. :D

panelfix.jpg
panelfix.jpg (30.38 KiB)

Now looking for a suitable icon

Cheers Auilyin

Auldyin

Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:49:59 am

Hi again IzayoiAki

Do you mind if I use this icon :arrow:

Screenshot-5.png
Screenshot-5.png (77 KiB)

Auldyin 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

IzayoiAki

Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:52:55 am

LOL Sure, if you want :P

tomp01

Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:03:02 am

IzayoiAki wrote:I get disappearing panels as well. For me, it tends to be the panel just to the right of the Zorin orb. I sometimes have duplicate panels appearing and overlapping each other.

Code:
killall gnome-panel

This kills the panels and forces it to restart. This has always worked for me, and I think it should work with all Zorin looks, if there's any similar corruption or bizarre behaviour such as this.

I just tried this and it works fine, thanks for that.

Wolfman

Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:06:44 am

Hi,

my point about updating was simply to make you aware in case you had not done so, there are a number of people who are new to Linux and don't know how to!!.

IzayoiAki

Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:38:40 am

I agree with Wolfman. It is always good to know how to update. I personally do an update run every day to pick up any new updates.

tomp01

Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:27:52 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

my point about updating was simply to make you aware in case you had not done so, there are a number of people who are new to Linux and don't know how to!!.

OK, fair comment, I have been using various flavours for 5-6 years. Currently I have Kubuntu 11.10,Ubuntu 11.10, Linux MInt KDE 12 and Zorin OS 5.2. I particularly like Zorin as it is relatively hassle free apart from minor irritations like the system tray disappearing. Even Skype works properly with USB mikes.

tomp01

Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:39:07 pm

Does anybody know when Zorin 5.3 or even 6 is scheduled to be released? How do you submit bugs to the dev team?

tomp01

Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:44:21 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:I always felt that the feedback section of the forum was for likes / dislikes / bugs. If you have a particular issue then feel free to put it in feedback. I cannot see there being a 5.3 - the next milestone will be 6.0 as it will be based on Gnome3.

So has this issue already been noted or does it need to be highlighted?

madvinegar

Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:49:35 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:I suspect that the Devs will be testing the work-in-progress for such bugs - it would be good if it could be cleared up but then different hardware can produce different results for different users I guess.

This is a bug that the devs should look and resolve as we get to see it too often.
However, not on everyone, as you correctly said, different hardware produces different results.

I have installed Zorin in too many computers, and only in two of them I have met this problem.
In my wife's small acer one d250, I never had any such problem and I only use win7 look. (hope I don't jinx it :D )

Ofcourse, if you change to gnome look, you don't get it again.

tomp01

Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:11:26 pm

madvinegar wrote:
swarfendor437 wrote:I suspect that the Devs will be testing the work-in-progress for such bugs - it would be good if it could be cleared up but then different hardware can produce different results for different users I guess.

This is a bug that the devs should look and resolve as we get to see it too often.
However, not on everyone, as you correctly said, different hardware produces different results.

I have installed Zorin in too many computers, and only in two of them I have met this problem.
In my wife's small acer one d250, I never had any such problem and I only use win7 look. (hope I don't jinx it :D )

Ofcourse, if you change to gnome look, you don't get it again.

I don't like Gnome much and I hate Unity

madvinegar

Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:19:21 pm

I don't like gnome too much either, but I switched to gnome look, deleted the lower panel bar and installed the cairo dock. And what I got was a super MAC-like look!

With linux you can do whatever you like...

tomp01

Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:27:21 am

madvinegar wrote:I don't like gnome too much either, but I switched to gnome look, deleted the lower panel bar and installed the cairo dock. And what I got was a super MAC-like look!

With linux you can do whatever you like...

Yes, my son did something similar. I still prefer the KDE 4 or WIn 7 style GUI

Wolfman

Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:26:38 am

Hi MV,

what version of "Conky" are you using and where did you get it from???.

madvinegar

Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:28:21 pm

I am not using conky. I have used 3 different screenlets. I will advise you of their exact names next week when I will be back from London.

madvinegar

Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:50:38 am

swarfendor437 wrote:Sorry madvinegar - it was late when I posted - should have had some shuteye! :D What I meant to post was Cairo-Dock OpenGL - can't wait to find out if I was right! ;)

Indeed cairo dock with open GL and Mac OSX look. :mrgreen:

IzayoiAki

Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:08:36 am

Cairo is indeed a very nice dock. I've just switched out my Win7 look to a Gnome + Cairo. Looks pretty snazzy :)

madvinegar

Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:16:37 am

Wolfman wrote:Hi MV,

what version of "Conky" are you using and where did you get it from???.

Hi wolfman, sorry for the delay in replying.

I have installed the "screenlets" application as follows:

Code:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:screenlets/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install screenlets

You can then find it under applications>accessories>screenlets.

I have chosen to apply the "freemeteoWeather" and the "CleanCalendar".

You can also visit http://gnome-look.org/index.php?xconten ... 790a68b442 and download any other screenlet you like and install it.
This is how I got the "ringSensors" screenlet.

Swarf, you may also want to make a sticky out of this post.

Wolfman

Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:26:55 am

Hi MV,

thanks for the feedback, I already use Screenlets by installing "screenlets-all" which are already in the repo!!.