This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS or Ubuntu

mr.purrfect58

Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:05:42 am

Hi There, I am a complete Zorin Newbie, never seen it before or tried to use it so I will need a lot of HELP. I have downloaded both Zorin 5.2 OS and Ubuntu OS. I have tried Ubuntu and had some problems with it, then I tried Zorin. I like Zorin better so I will stay with it for now, I have noticed that in the process of downloading updates it seems to be Ubuntu programs also to download. My question is: what do I download, the Ubuntu programs or find the Zorin programs?

madvinegar

Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:45:38 am

Zorin in based on ubuntu. More specifically Zorin 5.2 is based on ubuntu 11.04 natty narwhal. So you should download all recomended updates. At least this is what I have been doing for so long without any problem.

As regards the question Zorin or Ubuntu, all I could reply is that in my opinion, Zorin is ubuntu as it should be.

Wolfman

Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:36:10 am

Hi and welcome,

go here for info about updating:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1617

Regards Wolfman :D

mr.purrfect58

Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:05:36 am

Hi there, thanks for the info, I sure will need all I can get. I have been trying to find Doc. on Zorin, but I can't find any. I must be looking in the wrong places, I know they wouldn't build an OS without Docs. to tell you how to use it. Anyway thanks and I will keep reading the forum so I can learn something.

Wolfman

Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:16:49 am

Hi Larry,

as MV has pointed out already; Zorin is based on Ubuntu which in turn is based on Debian.

Any packages/programs that you wish to download and install can be done using the Ubuntu Software Center, Synaptic package manager or using the terminal if you know the commands.

Any 3rd party packages that you might want to install should end with ".deb" or "all.deb" and should downloaded from a known and verified source/location, in other words; a place that you know is safe to download from, a good example would be adobe.com or the google earth website.

It is also important to note that you should make sure that you download the correct package for your PC, either 32 bit; or 64 bit, packages ending "all.deb" work with both systems!!.

There are also "tar" files which you can always use providing you follow the instructions given with each package!!. (safety rule applies here too!)

Do not try and use "rpm" packages if you possibly can as they are designed for another type of packaging system!. (Redhat Package Manager)

Regards Wolfman :D

See this thread also:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1778&p=6447#p6447

tomp01

Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:31:50 pm

mr.purrfect58 wrote:Hi There, I am a complete Zorin Newbie, never seen it before or tried to use it so I will need a lot of HELP. I have downloaded both Zorin 5.2 OS and Ubuntu OS. I have tried Ubuntu and had some problems with it, then I tried Zorin. I like Zorin better so I will stay with it for now, I have noticed that in the process of downloading updates it seems to be Ubuntu programs also to download. My question is: what do I download, the Ubuntu programs or find the Zorin programs?

I just can't stand the Unity GUI, it is just bloody appalling in my opinion. Only Windows 8 and the Metro inferface can match it for awfulness.

tomp01

Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:29:41 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:Hi tomp01, Not come across Metro before (hope you are not referring to what Comice uses as I quite like that! :D )

I agree with you on Windows 8 - did not bother downloading the consumer edition having seen TOStoday's blogspot on it - who wants to have a Windows Phone interface anyway? Must tell you about my experience with Windows 8 Developer (something that might have been leveled at GNU/Linux in the past!) -
1. Loading Files.
2. Install now
3. "Cannot find driver for DVD/CD rom drive - if need to remove Windows 8 Disc and install driver" - I even 'browsed' to the Windows 7 installation to 'System32/DriverStore/DVD/CD.sys' - nada! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Metro is the name of the tile interface for Win 8.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03/03/andrew_does_windows8/

mr.purrfect58

Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:48:50 am

Thanks for all the info, I will go now and see if I can get smarter about this Zorin OS. Thanks again Larry

ZOS

Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:25:55 pm

I would like toknow how did Zorin get rid of the unity interface.

tomp01

Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:24:01 am

ZOS wrote:I would like toknow how did Zorin get rid of the unity interface.

It is based on Ubuntu 11.04 which uses Gnome 2.X rather than Gnome 3