This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How to properly configure compiz.

Zorinlover2313

Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:10:26 am

Ok, so this is probably the 5th time I installed Zorin and I want help to do this properly.
so I install zorin the first time and I decide to have cool effects to impress my friends right? Well I install my G.P.U.(Graphics Processesing Unit) driver I configure compiz the way I like and then I restart and I loose my taskbar so,
Now I have a fresh install of zorin no Microsoft operating systems. Help me resolve this so I can reconfigure compiz and install my G.P.U. driver. THANKS!I

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I found out how to fix it all I have to do is set it to "gnome classic" before I logon, I have it to do that automatically.

THANK YOU ALL WHO TOOK THE TIME TO HELP ME!

Wolfman

Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:35:37 am

Hi,

for compiz settings look here (wiki is better!):

http://www.compiz.org/

and:

http://wiki.compiz.org/

For hardware drivers (ATI & Nvidia only) go to control center > hardware > additional drivers

Regards Wolfman :D

Zorinlover2313

Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:07:47 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

for compiz settings look here (wiki is better!):

http://www.compiz.org/

and:

http://wiki.compiz.org/

For hardware drivers (ATI & Nvidia only) go to control center > hardware > additional drivers

Regards Wolfman :D

That still doesn't answer my question I would go to additional drivers and install that, reboot, and loose my taskbar those sites have nothing to do with my problem.

Zorinlover2313

Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:14:14 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:Can I have some clarity on the issues first as I see them:

1. You cannot get compiz to work;
2. You installed the proprietary Linux driver?
3. You have Windows on the computer and you cannot boot into Windows if you want to or you got rid of Windows and now wish you hadn't?

So could you please tell us:
1. Make and model of Computer (or if it is a 'grey' machine - aka 'homebrew')
2. Manufacture name and model of graphics card
3. Version of Zorin you installed.

Many thanks.

I have a Toshiba Satellite L775D-S7222 and my GPU is Radeon™ HD 6520G Graphic
I installed Zorin V. 5. Were you reading what i said? I said that if i installed the proprietary driver that when I rebooted i'd loose my taskbar. Are you automated? And I purposely converted to "Linux" I hate windows. I just can't figure out how to use "Wine" I wish I understood it so I could use windows programs that's another story.

madvinegar

Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:56:26 am

Zorinlover2313 wrote:
swarfendor437 wrote:I have a Toshiba Satellite L775D-S7222 and my GPU is Radeon™ HD 6520G Graphic
I installed Zorin V. 5. Were you reading what i said? I said that if i installed the proprietary driver that when I rebooted i'd loose my taskbar. Are you automated? And I purposely converted to "Linux" I hate windows. I just can't figure out how to use "Wine" I wish I understood it so I could use windows programs that's another story.

Could you please open terminal and post the outcome of:

Code:
lspci

Thank you.

Since the proprietary driver is not helping, keep it disabled. Have you updated fully your system? Usually, after an update, all the necessary drivers are installed and the GPU will work with 3d acceleration. Or, after an update you may find more proprietary drivers recomended in "additional drivers" and you can try enabling a different one to see if you get better results.
After the full update, and since the compiz effects are pre-installed with Zorin, you can tell if the 3d grafics are enabled i.e. by seeing if when you close a window it just disappears or it is broken in many pieces. If the second happens, then the 3D effects are enabled.
If not, we can make a research to see what is the latest recomended driver for your GPU. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

With wine, what is the problem you are facing? You right click on the program's .exe file, and you go to properties. From there, you go to the "permissions" tab and you tick the box that says "allow executing file as a program". You then right-click the .exe file again and chose "open with wine".

Zorinlover2313

Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:19:25 am

madvinegar wrote:
Zorinlover2313 wrote:
swarfendor437 wrote:I have a Toshiba Satellite L775D-S7222 and my GPU is Radeon™ HD 6520G Graphic

Code:
lspci

Thank you.

Since the proprietary driver is not helping, keep it disabled. Have you updated fully your system? Usually, after an update, all the necessary drivers are installed and the GPU will work with 3d acceleration. Or, after an update you may find more proprietary drivers recomended in "additional drivers" and you can try enabling a different one to see if you get better results.
After the full update, and since the compiz effects are pre-installed with Zorin, you can tell if the 3d grafics are enabled i.e. by seeing if when you close a window it just disappears or it is broken in many pieces. If the second happens, then the 3D effects are enabled.
If not, we can make a research to see what is the latest recomended driver for your GPU. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

With wine, what is the problem you are facing? You right click on the program's .exe file, and you go to properties. From there, you go to the "permissions" tab and you tick the box that says "allow executing file as a program". You then right-click the .exe file again and chose "open with wine".

Thanks a lot I will never forget you for this!

Zorinlover2313

Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:22:56 am

madvinegar wrote:
Zorinlover2313 wrote:

Code:
lspci

Thank you.

00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Device 1705
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Device 9647
00:01.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc Device 1714
00:02.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Device 1707
00:11.0 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 40)
00:12.0 USB Controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson USB OHCI Controller (rev 11)
00:12.2 USB Controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson USB EHCI Controller (rev 11)
00:13.0 USB Controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson USB OHCI Controller (rev 11)
00:13.2 USB Controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson USB EHCI Controller (rev 11)
00:14.0 SMBus: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson SMBus Controller (rev 13)
00:14.1 IDE interface: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson IDE Controller
00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson Azalia Controller (rev 01)
00:14.3 ISA bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson LPC Bridge (rev 11)
00:14.4 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson PCI Bridge (rev 40)
00:15.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Device 43a0
00:15.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Device 43a1
00:15.2 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Device 43a2
00:16.0 USB Controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson USB OHCI Controller (rev 11)
00:16.2 USB Controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson USB EHCI Controller (rev 11)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 0 (rev 43)
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 1
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 2
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 3
00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 4
00:18.5 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 6
00:18.6 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 5
00:18.7 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 7
04:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter (rev 01)
05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 05)

Zorinlover2313

Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:01:29 pm

madvinegar wrote:
Zorinlover2313 wrote:

Code:
lspci

Thank you.

Thanks I guess compiz is not for me. :cry:

Zorinlover2313

Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:02:28 pm

I

Zorinlover2313

Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:11:11 pm

All i needed to do is when I logon i have to change it to "gnome classic" Thanks to all who helped!

madvinegar

Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:43:56 pm

If the 3d graphics are enabled, it does not matter what kind of look you are using.

If you have changed to gnome look in order to avoid the problem of the panel bar disappearing (in win7 look), then I agree with that.
I had almost the same problem (the right part of the bar was getting confused sometimes) but since I changed to gnome look, I never faced a similar problem.

Glad you worked it out!