This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

AutoStart Buffalo NAS? Is it possible??

dwh1956

Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:34:37 am

I've just set up my Desktop with Zorin OS 5.2 and I must say it's very impressive. My goal is to do away with windows XP completely and this seems to have just about all the programs I will ever need, of course since I'm quite new at anything other then Windows I'm still trying to figure out what does what.

I have a Buffalo LinkStation Live Network attached storage device that I have been using with my XP computer managing it via Link Navigator, it has an autostart function that as long as the XP computer is online the NAS is available for anyone to use on the network, well with doing away with XP I now have to manually turn on the NAS when I want to use it, kind of a pain. So what I'm trying to figure out is if there is a way of having Zorin autostart it, I found a link in a Ubuntu forum, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1410353, that tries to explain how it can be done, it has something to do with sending 3 wake-on-lan requests every 5 mins or so, but I don't know if it would be the same in Zorin or not, also even though it appears very detailed on how it was done, it don't make a lot of sense to me. Remember I'm still feeling my way along here.

So has anybody done this, and if so can you put up a how to guide for the beginner.

thanks,
dwh

Wolfman

Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:27:02 am

Hi,

I have never used such things in my life and I can only suggest you go here:

http://forum.buffalo.nas-central.org/in ... a89c60d0ec

It would be the best place to look, I found a couple of links about Ubuntu but you should do your own search!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

dwh1956

Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:46:44 pm

Found some information at: http://forum.buffalo.nas-central.org/vi ... 39&t=14946, the python script seems to work good so far, at least when I run it my NAS woke up and after about 5 mins of Hibernation of Zorin it went back to sleep. At that same link there is an init script for Ubuntu that says it will start up the python script during a boot up, but I have not seen how to use an init script in Zorin there is a nice vid for building and launching an init in Ubuntu on U-Tube; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d39izaupvEg but I don't know it that is the same procedure in Zorin or not. Is there a how-to somewhere? I did a search in the forum for "Init script" but didn't see anything.

Thanks for the help.

dwh1956

Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:51:04 pm

I will try to figure out the TwonkyVision MediServer, but a quick glance at it still doesn't seem to explain how to get the init script in my startup path. Again thanks for the quick help and I will study it further but am still looking for a simple way of just getting my current script to start automatically.

dwh

Linx

Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:34:54 am

Zorin OS is (or should be) fully compatible with any Debian/Ubuntu configs that you find on the web, you may have is a issue with some but only if there is a program running that would override something in you script (I can't think of any, and don't know why they would, but it is possible).

To kinda explain the link you found.
autofs5 --- A program to automatically "mount" the NAS file system
wakeonlan --- a program to wake up and device that supports WOL
smbfs --- this will allow you to access ntfs network shares
netcat -- handles TCP/UDP connections, i don't see where in the instructions, I would assume it has something to do with the keepalive,

You being unfamiliar with linux/Zorin, there is one thing I would change ...

before starting the config, run the following command (in terminal) ( Zbutton > Accessories > Terminal )

mkdir ~/Desktop/nas

and I would change /etc/auto.master tothe following using ^ as the open and close charcters

^
# auto.master
~/Desktop/nas /etc/auto.nas
^

make sure you don't put the ^ in the file, it will cause errors, it was only to make reading it kinda simpler.