This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

password lockout

twilliams

Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:07:28 pm

I loaded the OS
Now the password does not work
I cannot unlock

loudermp

Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:10:58 pm

I experienced this issue with mint, fortunately I did not have any personal data and the install was not that long so I reinstalled it, this is the only suggestion I have, sorry do not know of any password recovery apps, but I am a noob at linux so soomeone else might, good luck.

Linx

Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:54:26 pm

what you can do is put in a live disk (the zorin install CD, and run live from disk) you really need CLI. open terminal and type
I AM USING sda2 EVERYWHERE WHERE YOU SEE sda2 YOU WILL NEED TO MATCH YOUR BOOT PARTITION (or it wont work)

sudo su - this will log you in as root
cd / - this will put you at the root directory
ls /dev - this will list everything in the dev folder (your different devices) and you will need to find the drive/partition that you installed Zorin on I'm using sda2 for this example (that is what mine is)
mkdir /mnt/sda2 - this will make a directory for mounting
mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/sda2 - this will mount the drive so it is readable
chroot /mnt/sda2 - this will change your root, and because we logged in a rot earlier it will carry over and you will be root on your computer!!!!
passwd [your username] - this will change your password
shutdown -r 00 - this will reboot your computer (i think)

take out the live disk, and use your computer

please note ... if your home folder is encrypted .... you are out of luck, I don't know how to help, sorry =[

just to make sure you can read the commands I'm putting them here too

sudo su
cd /
ls /dev
mkdir /mnt/sda2
mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/sda2
chroot /mnt/sda2
passwd [your username]
shutdown -r 00