This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Crashing

mr.purrfect58

Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:15:34 am

Hi there, well here I am again with a new problem. I have had this problem for about two (2) weeks, I thought I could find out what is wrong, but I can't. Here is the problem: the Zorin 5.2 OS crashes, it will go into console mode and give me lines of code. At the top or near it it will say BUG a NULL was created that the Kernel could not handle at [ xxxxxxxxx] . This line number changes each time it happens. It happens when it wants to, know certain spot. Sometimes I am looking at some updates or I am on the internet, or just about anywhere. When this happens it fills my screen with lines of code, and I have to shut the computer down and then restart it. It may go for a while before it happens again, then the same thing, it never says anything about hardware always about the kernel. So what is my problem and how do I fix it? :(

Wolfman

Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:14:08 am

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1617

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1618

Try these 2 how-to's first :D

Regards Wolfman :D

madvinegar

Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:43:06 am

Especially the 2nd link that wolfman provided.

mr.purrfect58

Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:42:21 am

Okay, thanks. I will try this info you have giving me. Thanks Again!!

mr.purrfect58

Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:02:50 am

Okay, I am now on my Zorin Linux computer. It has been working for a hole day now and I hope it continues, I did a broken package fix on the boot up. And it has been working ever sense, but I am still holding my breath due to the fact it could crash at any time. So for now I am playing with it and trying to organnize the files and programs the way I want. So thanks to all for the help so far, and I will be back when I have a problem, also I am reading what is placed here on the forums so I can learn more, plus I may fix a problem before I ask for help.

Wolfman

Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:35:00 am

Hi Larry,

glad to hear its running well, there are only 3 main factors to know about Linux in general that should keep your OS running like a Rolls Royce or a Swiss watch.

Always update your OS on a regular basis, this includes updating the system immediately after a fresh install. Only download software from places that you know can be trusted like the Ubuntu/Debian repositories. And last but not least, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

If you need any help, the gang here will glady be of assistance!!.

Regards Wolfman :D