This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Java applet install

buster keaton

Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:21:59 pm

Hello everyone,

I have tried many flavors of Linux and found that only one supports Pogo games and that is a version of Zorin from 2 years ago. V5.2 of Zorin, as well as Ubuntu, Mint, GoS, UE(which I really like) et al, simply do not come equipped with the necessary Java components to run Pogo games. I have to follow extensive and convoluted instructions to get this to work.

So, my question is this: Why do I have to jump through hoops to enable this feature? I have tried all the methods people suggest on the Linux forums to no avail. Why does this work right out of the box in the old version of Zorin, but when upgrading to 5.2, I am right back where I started from with no Java support? I've tried 'em all, none of them work like the 2 year old version of Zorin.

I guess, besides needing to know how to enable Java for Pogo without these extensive instructions, why would only one version of Linux (Zorin) support Java Pogo right out of the box and none of the others I have tried do?

Thank you

Wolfman

Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:22:12 pm

Hi Buster,

try this:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java

Regards Wolfman :D

buster keaton

Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:53:45 pm

Hi Wolfman and thanks for taking the time to reply.

See, that's my point. I have to follow a long list of complicated instructions just to install Java. I really appreciate the time and effort it took to put the tutorial together, but, find it inexplicable as to why this needs to be done, especially given the fact that the old version of Zorin runs Java applets right out of the box. Invariably something always goes wrong which necessitates me looking for a solution to the problem with the original solution. Case in point: When clicking on the "OpenJDK Installation of Java Runtime Environment" link I get this error: "Please wait The package you requested will install shortly." followed by "Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (apt) isn't associated with any program". Clicking on the "browser plugin" link produces the same error.

And this is on the very first instruction. So, again I ask, why is all this necessary? Why have the developers of the latest version of Zorin decided to disable Java applets and now require users to wade through a complicated series of instructions just to enable this feature, when it worked fine in the past?

Wolfman

Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:07:00 pm

Hi,

copy and paste the 2 groups of commands below in a terminal as is:

sudo wget --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/$(lsb_release -cs).list && sudo apt-get --quiet update && sudo apt-get --yes --quiet --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get --quiet update

Then:

sudo apt-get --yes install app-install-data-medibuntu apport-hooks-medibuntu

Update your system in a terminal with:

sudo apt-get update

Then:

sudo apt-get install openjdk-7-jre

I think you are trying a difficult route to install packages that are obtained via the normal repo assuming that the Medibuntu repo has been used!!.

buster keaton

Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:11:42 pm

Hi Wolfman,

Thanks very much for your instructions;

I got several errors along the way. GPG error: http://packages.medibuntu.org natty InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 2EBC26B60C5A2783

And: sudo apt-get install openjdk-7-jre
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package openjdk-7-jre
buster@buster-AZ:~$ ^C
buster@buster-AZ:~$ GPG error: http://packages.medibuntu.org natty InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 2EBC26B60C5A2783GPG error: http://packages.medibuntu.org natty InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 2EBC26B60C5A2783

I don't know what any of that means, perhaps you can help.

Wolfman

Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:49:35 am

Hi,

I think that your problem may also lie with the software sources, please see this How-To:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1694

You don't really have to worry about the messages about the "Keys"!!.

Once you have altered your software sources, make sure you do the update thing again!!.

buster keaton

Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:24:38 pm

First off, let me thank everyone for their replies.

Here is where I am now: After trying Fedora 16 and finding that flavor of Linux also has no Java applet support, I decided to go back to Zorin 5.2 and was determined to get Java to work. I reinstalled it and went to the Internet Manager and installed Firefox and lo and behold, the Java applets worked like a charm! The Internet Manager was something I didn't see the first time I tried 5.2. I have to say that this version of Zorin is really nice and seems to strike the right balance between hard-core Linux distros and Windows.

Sometimes the answer is hiding in plain sight.

As an aside, along the way I tried reinstalling Windows XP and simply could not get it to connect to my router. Fooled around with it for two days and it would not connect. The one thing I will say about all the versions of Linux I have tried, which is about 8, is that every single one of them instantly recognized my wireless card and immediately connected to my router.

Thanks again everybody.

Phateless

Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:59:21 pm

buster keaton wrote:First off, let me thank everyone for their replies.

Here is where I am now: After trying Fedora 16 and finding that flavor of Linux also has no Java applet support, I decided to go back to Zorin 5.2 and was determined to get Java to work. I reinstalled it and went to the Internet Manager and installed Firefox and lo and behold, the Java applets worked like a charm! The Internet Manager was something I didn't see the first time I tried 5.2. I have to say that this version of Zorin is really nice and seems to strike the right balance between hard-core Linux distros and Windows.

Sometimes the answer is hiding in plain sight.

As an aside, along the way I tried reinstalling Windows XP and simply could not get it to connect to my router. Fooled around with it for two days and it would not connect. The one thing I will say about all the versions of Linux I have tried, which is about 8, is that every single one of them instantly recognized my wireless card and immediately connected to my router.

Thanks again everybody.

Would you mind helping a noob understand how to get Java working in Zorin 6.2 Lite, running from a live usb?

Btw I noticed that same thing about wifi - my gf's HP flat out refuses to see some Netgear routers, but on any form of Linux it connects right away without issue. Go figure.

Wolfman

Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:59:27 am

Hi Phateless,

try running this command from a terminal (press Ctrl + Alt + t):

Code:
sudo apt-get install default-jre

Don't forget that if you plan on running a live CD/USB, each time you reboot; you will have to run the command again!.

Phateless

Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:28:28 pm

Thank you, I'll give that a try!